Building a gaming computer - clueless

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoStyle

Beta member
Well here's the thing...

I'm interested in building a gaming PC that could last me for quite a while, but when it comes to buying parts etc, I have no idea where to search or what to buy. I've glanced through Newegg couple of times, but all these parts name and such only worsened my situation.

I'm planning to build one from scratch and I simply have no idea how to assemble the bought parts either. The areas I need the most help in are the casing, motherboard, fans, power source, and misc items that I had no idea I would need. Plus I have no idea which CPU and GPU I should get that will benefit me in the long run.

I would appreciate it if anyone could give me a general idea of what type/specific items I should get from the areas above. Any tips as to how I should go about in assembling the parts would be appreciated as well. I would especially like to take advantage of the upcoming Thanks Giving/Black Friday holiday as an incentive for me to give it a shot at this.

I have about $700 budget (maybe stretch it a bit more) and I'm not in need of keyboard, mouse, or monitors.

I'm not really planning on overclocking at this point.

I'm just wondering but how much does all the different variations of OS (Windows 7 Premium vs. Student etc) factor into the computer's performance? I was originally planning on saving some money on OS by purchasing the $30 Windows 7 Student edition.

@Muffin Man - I think the price range is pretty decent and I might just go with cheaper windows 7 (student one) if the performance doesn't suffer from it.

The student edition is an upgrade copy, which means that you will need to already have a version of Windows installed on the computer. Get the OEM copy from Newegg that's combo'd with the RAM, that will be the cheapest full version you can get.

the cpu already comes with a stock heatsink and if youre not planning to OC or even just a little, it will work fine.

The student edition is an upgrade copy, which means that you will need to already have a version of Windows installed on the computer. Get the OEM copy from Newegg that's combo'd with the RAM, that will be the cheapest full version you can get.

just do the double install method :silly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom