strange problem with my RAID HDDs (initializing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santuzzo

Daemon Poster
Hi, I have two drives in a mirrored RAID setup (I think that is called RAID 1).
I use the volume mostly for stroing data and music, etc.

I was just on the PC when all of a sudden my audio interface turned off by itself and the PC screen froze. I had to hit the reset button to boot again.
It booted normally but I got the RAID monitor message 'one volume is being initialized'.
What does all of this mean?
Now I am afraid of losing my data stored on the RAID drives. I booted again, but the initializing is still in process.

Could all of this be a virus???
What should I do? How can I find out what happened and why it happened?

I'd appredciate any kind of help!

Thanks,

Lars

Sounds like you may have lost a drive. You need to find out which drive failed (found by using the RAID utility that came with your controller) and rebuild the array using the good disk.

Sounds like you may have lost a drive. You need to find out which drive failed (found by using the RAID utility that came with your controller) and rebuild the array using the good disk.

Thanks for your input.

How can this happen? Can the drive just fail like that?
Does that mean it's lost all its content?

Now my Intel Matrix storage console tells me that one of the volumes is being initialized. What exactly does that mean?

And what can I do to prevent stuff like this happening in the future?
Did I buy a poor quality drive?

Well i don't know exactly what happen. Either the drive failed or possible the data was corrupt and the array needs to be rebuilt (which i believe is what the initializing is). So you need to:
1. make sure that both drives are still in tact and functional
2. see which has the most recent data or which failed
3. rebuild the array from the good drive (which is what that initializing is)

You can't do anything about it - i mean this is the ENTIRE point of RAID, so you don't lose data. Think if you had this on one drive you would have lost all or some of your data. Drives fail, data becomes corrupt - this is where RAID 1 comes into play and allows you to rebuild a dataset off of one drive.

Well i don't know exactly what happen. Either the drive failed or possible the data was corrupt and the array needs to be rebuilt (which i believe is what the initializing is). So you need to:
1. make sure that both drives are still in tact and functional
2. see which has the most recent data or which failed
3. rebuild the array from the good drive (which is what that initializing is)

You can't do anything about it - i mean this is the ENTIRE point of RAID, so you don't lose data. Think if you had this on one drive you would have lost all or some of your data. Drives fail, data becomes corrupt - this is where RAID 1 comes into play and allows you to rebuild a dataset off of one drive.

OK, Thank you very much.
I will look into this tomorrow. Now I gotta get some sleep (2:30 am over here).

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it!

Lars

This moring when I turned on my PC the initializing was still continuing, and after it was finished, my Intel Matrix Storage manager said the drive is working properly and all data is protected against a failing disc.

Does that mean everything is fine again and I need not to worry/do anything about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom