Open box GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

apsoul

In Runtime
I am thinking of getting an open box GPU from newegg. I know I probably won't get the adapters/crossfire bridge/driver disk etc, but the HSF will still be on it correct? the card i'm interested in is ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512MD5 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5. It's a little more money (after discount) than i would like to spend, but with $70 off it seems to be a decent deal. I know i could d-load drivers and such, and the only cable/adapter i would need is the dvi-vga which shouldn't be a problem to come across. I do not need anything close to top of the line and I was originally looking at the 4670 cards as they would probably suit my needs just fine. However i figure the 4870 would be considerably more future proof, and the card just looks sick! Anything better that i could get for the price? I do plan on OCing it a bit just for the fun of it, and it looks like the HSF will be able to handle a bit of an OC.

Edit: There is a small form over function tendency here as the card's color scheme will match my planned setup perfectly, and I think this is why I'm asking what you all think. My bias towards this card may be slightly irrational. haha. I saw good reviews on the full-box version (which is sold out) so I think it may be worth it.

Hmm, I see you point. I was a little premature in actually thinking about that card. didn't realize how much better I could get for the same money. I'm kinda lost when it comes to GPU's I've looked at the performance list, and I've tried looking around at newegg but there just seem to be too many brands and different configurations of cards for me to process it all at once haha.

On a number of different GPU roundups/best bang for buck articles i've read, they say that if you want a "middle of the road" card from ATI/AMD then you should get one soon because the 47xx and 48xx cards will all be gone soon. If I don't need 5xxx performance, should I be in a rush to get a card, or will I be ok waiting it out a little? Cash will be a little tight til after the holidays.

I don't think the 48xx series will all be gone TOO soon. You could see a price drop after the holidays though, so maybe wait out till after then and see what's what.

thanks for the help. I've looked around a bit more, and have found some prospects, but as you don't think they will be going out anytime soon, then I think i should be good for a while. Although the x3 720 and xfx 4770 combo looks kinda nice. Should be more gpu power than i need and would take care of my CPU upgrade too. Was originally thinking of either the x4 955 or 965(125w) but I don't think i need it. The x3 should be more fun to OC too with the possibility of unlocking 4th core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom