New AMD Video Card stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
So... has anyone looked into the 5xxx Series of AMD line GPU?

I haven't heard much but got intrigued when I saw some for sale, I always planned to CrossFire my 4890, but I am not sure if 4890 is CrossFire compatible with the 5000 series, if it is - no biggy - if it isn't.....::

If it isn't I wanna find out which combination is better. Basically the ol' 1 Brand new card vs. Two Older cards in CrossFire/Sli debate.

Only problem is, I actually am semi-ahead of the bus so to speak on this one, normally Iam months out of date on tech, so picking is easier, lots of reviews and benchmarks to see results.

with the 5,000 series.. I can't find a whole lot of credible benchmark results, nor a comparison of the 4890 I have with even the basic new 5,000 Card.... makes deciding rather difficult since I don't like to put things up to chance.

Any input from the Techs here? 5,000 a gimmick for money, or woth the money, or what?

I'm rather certain that you can only xfire cards from within the same series. like 2 4xxx series or 2 5xxx series, but you can't do one of both. (not 100% on this and gpu's are probably the area i know the least about) I've been on a hunt for a gpu as well though, and from what i understand the 5xxx series is about on par with the 4xxx series on a pure framerate basis, but it has DX11 support, runs cooler(i think), and when amd comes out with better drivers for it, they should easily surpass anything on the market today.
If you already have a 4890 then it may be worth it to xfire since you only have to buy one card, but if you are looking ahead to the future of gaming, then the 5xxx series with DX11 would be your best bet.

As I said, GPU's are not my forte, but this is what I've deduced from all my research up to this point. If somebody else on here says other, then listen to them, but as you haven't gotten a reply yet, i figured i'd give you something to read until somebody else adds more detailed info on the matter. I hope i didn't give any misinformation. I'm tryin here :)

Edit - for after muffin man's post: Sweet I was right! I was kinda out on a limb with this post.

edit: was still typing when the above ^ was posted. im kinda agreeing with apsoul on this one though so this will be like a continuation.

im pretty sure you would only be able to xfire your 4890 with another 48xx series card.

i cant seem to find a more recent xfire compatibility chart to show you, this doesnt even include the 4890, but you could take a look at it to give you an idea of what can/cant be xfired.
Compatibility Charts

if you want to upgrade from your current 4890, im assuming youre looking at either the 5850 or 5870 since the 57xx series cards would be a slight step down in performance. in that case, considering how cheap you can get a 4890 for nowadays if you look around, i would get another and xfire it, which would get you performance right around gtx 295/5870 levels.
4890 xfire review techPowerUp :: AMD Radeon HD 4890 CrossFire Review :: Page 1 / 29

with your current setup, getting a 5850 (costing nearly $300) wouldnt be worth the cost for the performance increase youre gonna get from a single 4890 IMO, and getting a 5870 ($400) just costs too much, unless you have that kind of money, then get that instead.
comparison to show single 4890 vs 5850/5870 AnandTech: AMD?s Radeon HD 5850: The Other Shoe Drops

i agree with apsoul though. if you want to stay ahead as far as the new features with the new cards go, then go for one of the 58xx cards.

You can crossfire 2 different cards as long as they are from the same 'tree', I.E 4xxx or 5xxx series, but you can't cross generations. I would say investing in another 4890 might be cheaper and offer you better fps, generally 2 top of the line cards will surpass a single from the next generation.

I wish I would have waited for DX11 cards. In all honesty, I will not crossfire another one. I'd rather hop on DX11 when my card is showing any signs of struggle with max settings. I think it would be worth it. But, if you have the itch for an upgrade now and you want another, then yeah grab a 4890. But if you have extra cash, I would sell your 4890 and hit up a 5870 to get on DX11. Especially if you have the cash. DX11!

Lol no offence but DX11 is just a gimmick for me.. I don't even have any DX10 games/programs to utilize the enhancements from 9.

I was lookin at the "replacements" for my card, and honestly I agree with above - to get "my card" but DX11 and cooler or quieter - not sure which - this card is plenty cool but gets pretty loud to do it. - it would cost some like $150 more then just buying another card and CrossFireing them -

And manually setting fan speeds to 40 or so (a tolerable amount of noise) to keep cool - but splitting the GPU load on 2 cards should help keep them cooler -without as much noise - plus enable me to play on a 42inch screen. (not that I have one laying around waiting)

Even if you did want a 5870, you're not going to be able to find them anywhere. I've been looking for the past couple weeks and haven't found a single one. There is no end in sight to this massive stock shortage either.

I think I am the only one in TF to have 5870. 4890 Crossfire will beat a 5870. I haven't play any games with them except for COD4 and I have a 4890 that I can use. I can do bench tests like 3dmark if you want me to, to see the difference. I would go with 1 GPU because of energy cost and I am too busy to game. I don't plan on keeping both of my 5870 longer than 1-2 more month.

Even if you did want a 5870, you're not going to be able to find them anywhere. I've been looking for the past couple weeks and haven't found a single one. There is no end in sight to this massive stock shortage either.

This is correct. I ordered mine on October 15 and it took 2 weeks to get them. Also, I bought them for $380 and they seem to be raising the prices now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom