My powersupply - Upgrade for ATI 4890 help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Optional

Baseband Member
This is the card I'm getting,

Newegg.ca - HIS H489FT1GP Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Turbo OC Edition - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

The 'HIS Radeon HD 4890 1GB'. My buddy tells me its a monster card, especially for the price. It also appears to be rank 8 on the graphics cards list of this forum, I can live with that. I was watching him play Crysis on ultra settings with 40-50 FPS and no hiccups. I'm sold.

My question is, my powersupply. Newegg says and I quote, '500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended.' Now, can I just go for a 500 watt power supply and not worry? I don't want to go overboard here, and I want to make sure the PSU I'm getting has two 6 pin pci connectors. I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Something like this, a 650?
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

My buddy suggested this one, a 750.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

I'm torn.

What does '2 x 6+2-Pin', or '4 x 6+2-Pin' for that matter mean? is that what I'm looking for? Will it work with the 4890?
The +2 pin is what has me confused.

Thank you for any advice that you can offer. I'm excited to get my new graphics card up and running. Tired of lag in games getting me killed :sweat:

Current system specs
-----------------------------
Processor: E8400 3.0 Ghz dual core
RAM: 2gb DDR2 1066
Graphics Card: GeForce 7900 GTX (You can see why I want to upgrade. I can barely play Assassin's creed or Crysis)
PSU: Some old 450 watt piece of garbage. Only has one 6 pin pci connector for my 7900 GTX.
Operating system: Windows XP

I'm upgrading to 64-bit Windows 7 soon, and 4gb of ram. Later though, after Christmas.

PS:

Is installing the PSU on my own difficult? Is it as simple as plugging in the new one into places I unplug the old one? I don't want to give it to some store that takes a week to process my order If i can just do it myself. I'm good with my hands, and I know about ESD. I'm reading that it's simple as ****, and it should take 10 minutes, if that. Thanks again!

The Corsair 650 is plenty for the 4890 and the setup you have.2 x 6 Pin power connectors means it needs 2 , 6 pin power connections. Here you can see the power connectors(they are the black plastic things) on the 4890(scroll to 3rd pic): Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

That's what I thought. I'll get that 650, save some money.

Like i asked though, is it easy to put in a new PSU? this is what I plan to do, tell me if this is a good method,

1. Open CPU case
2. Unscrew old PSU, keep everything plugged into the computers components
3. Screw in the new PSU
4. Proceed to unplug old PSU, and plug in new PSU as I go.

Good method yes/no? Is it as simple as this?

Yea, it shouldn't be too difficult to replace the PSU. As long as you keep track of where everything goes then you should be fine.

Sure thing, just remember to ground yourself when you work on the inside of pretty much any electronics!

I'm also getting this radeon HD4890 (vapor-x series though) and I've been told a couple of times that Corsair 450VX is good enough psu for it. Is it ? :S
Dont want to spend money on a PSU that I'll install myself at home and find out that it isn't enough :(

edit: and how about Antec BP-500 500W Activ PFC, Dual +12V? seems to have same price as that corsair 450vx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom