AMD VS INTEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shagon

Solid State Member
Ok I want to build a new PC and I am on a very low bugget. well not build but upgrade my current pc. But in other to upgrade I gotta get a new CPU and Mother board to go with it. Now I am worried so far I have only used Intel processors so my first thought was to buy an intel but I came across the AMD Phenom II processor 3.40Ghz 6Mb Cache And 2000Mhz FSB and at the exact same price I got the intel core 2 quad at 2.66Ghz 4mb Cash and 1333mhz FSB well the AMD is better.

I am specifically upgrading for Gaming purposes and to be able to use applications such as Multisim and Delhpi and also to run my Media Cetener for my TV Card with no problem.

Now the issue I am having with this is that a friend of mine told me that Intel is more durable that AMD and the life span on AMD is low. I would much rather buy a processor that would last me than a processor which is better but wont last me.... what are you alls views on this can you help me?

The friend that told you intel is more durable doesn't know what he's talkin about. Both AMD and Intel processors will far outlive their required life-span (you're not gonna be using the same computer for 10yrs, which i'm sure they'll last well longer than that)

As for the core 2 quad, they're not very good value. If you're on a very low budget i would assume that those 2 cpus are out of your budget. What is your budget exactly, and list your current components in detail please.

Ok let me explain my situation in more detailed... My bugget would lets say be 500us.... Now I have a working computer right here... its a P4 2.8Ghz... I would like to upgrad it... But also when I ugrad I don't want to feel like I need to upgrade in 2 years times... I notice technology is growing rather quickly.... So now I need to upgrade the CPU... but to upgrade the CPU I need to upgrade the mother board with it.... And Memory... which I would work with for now untill I can afford the other components... so I already have a monitor... Keyboard... Mouse.... Harddrive.... and a 450W powersupply.. I can easily get a 500W if needed....

I also noticed that Intel Motherboards these days don't come with onboard video... so I would have to get a video card... but I can't afford it as yet... but the AMD boards comes with there on board Video, which I would work with for now until I can afford the video card... so thats why I am more leaning to AMD.... I hope you understand what I am trying to say... I suck at explaining.

I saw the Phenom II on tigerdirect for 189us..... And I also saw the i5 for 199us.. when I look at the specs... the phenom is 3.20Ghz at 2000mhz... but the i5 is at 2.66mhz

Sorry I meant 2.66gHz

there is an edit button :p

GHZ matter to a point..but it doesn't mean much when you compare them. Some pentium D chips had stock speeds of like 3.4ghz and that doesn't matter than better than newer tech.

but in this case the i5 is better

Well from my understanding I am guessing that you guys are saying intel is better right?

Hey guys I am going to go for the AMDs as they are alot cheaper... but one issue... in term of Durability.... AMD doesn't suck right? as anyone bough an AMD processor I died within lets say 5 years of use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom