Artifacting on aero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kududoodoo

Beta member
So i just bought an entirely new computer and installed windows 7 and everything was working fine. About a week ago my display began artifacting every so often, most commonly on the Aero effects or right click menus of windows. It usually occurred right after closing a game. It also occurs on my steam overlay and on some in-game pause menus.

I turned off some of the aero effects and i rarely see it on my desktop anymore, but still get it in the other areas.

A friend with higher tech experience than me said something of this nature happened to him once and the problem had been directx and the only way he could solve it was a reinstall of windows.

Is this really a necessary step that i will need to take?

If you need specs:
directx 11
radeon 5870
core i7 d0
corsair HX620
6GB OCZ Gold DDR3
gigabyte x58-ud3r
Win 7 pro 64 (legit).

Thanks for any feedback.

I may have d/l an older version of directx at some point for bioshock which could be the problem

So i just bought an entirely new computer and installed windows 7 and everything was working fine. About a week ago my display began artifacting every so often, most commonly on the Aero effects or right click menus of windows. It usually occurred right after closing a game. It also occurs on my steam overlay and on some in-game pause menus.

I turned off some of the aero effects and i rarely see it on my desktop anymore, but still get it in the other areas.

A friend with higher tech experience than me said something of this nature happened to him once and the problem had been directx and the only way he could solve it was a reinstall of windows.

Is this really a necessary step that i will need to take?

If you need specs:
directx 11
radeon 5870
core i7 d0
corsair HX620
6GB OCZ Gold DDR3
gigabyte x58-ud3r
Win 7 pro 64 (legit).

Thanks for any feedback.

I may have d/l an older version of directx at some point for bioshock which could be the problem

Did you go to the ATI's website ? That link is for a driver that covers your card. Did you try updating your card's driver from there ?

yes i downloaded the newest drivers and then once it started happening uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers.

I've also noticed that if my computer has been running for a while, I am able to turn aero back on without the artifacting. At this point though, if i open catalyst, my activity is glitched at 99% for some reason and my card temperature is 58 degrees instead of the usual 37 when its idle or the 86 when its actually 99% activity.

I did see in some thread somewhere that someone believes the power saver mode on the card causes artifcating for him. Perhaps this could be the reason?

Is your card one of those factory "overclocked" editions? If so, you may need to turn down the specs to stock. 86c is very hot, but that may be normal for your card, I can't say. You may want to look into after market cooling solutions just as a precaution. It'll help your card run longer, anyway.
edit: I don't know anything about the power saving mode, sorry.

pretty sure its a standard card. clock speeds are 850 for GPU and 1250 for memory, but right now at idle, my speeds are 157 and 300 (respective). I have messed with the clock speeds since it began and nothing seems to change.
Ill check the clock speeds again when im glitched to 99% again and see what my speeds become. It seems like it is a problem with the power saving mode and ill probably have to wait for new drivers or something like that.

Use Driver Sweeper from Guru3D and remove all references to your Graphics Card. Get the latest driver from ATi and install them again. Sadly it is a common issue with ATi and Win7. The drivers are not that good for a lot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom