Win 7 upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximas

Baseband Member
Okay, my wife bought be a copy of windows 7 ultimate 64 edition. Problem is I am running vista ultimate 32. Obviously, because of this, I cannot upgrade to windows 7 64. My question is, can i put XP 64 back on my computer and upgrade from there? If this has been asked a million times, I apologize.

Thanks!

Pretty sure you can't do an upgrade install from XP to 7 though, Osiris. You can, however format the drive with the Upgrade media and do a fresh install. A member here posted that they tested it and worked; it's on the first page of the Windows 7 FAQ.

Edit: Here:

Unsupported Upgrade Scenarios

* Upgrades to Windows 7 from the following operating systems are not supported:

o Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows XP, Windows Vista® RTM, Windows Vista Starter, Windows 7 M3, Windows 7 Beta, Windows 7 RC, or Windows 7 IDS
From here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579(WS.10).aspx

is this an upgrade disc or is it the full thing but you're just wanting to upgrade so you won't lose data?

You never really say what kind of software it was, only that you wanted to upgrade.

I was initially trying to launch from Vista Ultimate edition... no dice. I then tried to do a full format and for some reason Windows 7 would not let me. I kept all the garbage from the vista install - I say garbage because I had saved everything to my back up hard drive. So now I have to go in an delete everything I don't need. That said, it was painless besides that getting Windows seven up and running. Thanks everyone for being so helpful. This is one of the best forums I have been on as of late. No childish crap. I likey.

From the supersite link it looks like you basically run the instalation like you normally would when you want to do a clean install and it either works or you can do the tweaks in the registry to activate it.

From the supersite link it looks like you basically run the instalation like you normally would when you want to do a clean install and it either works or you can do the tweaks in the registry to activate it.

Yes. It seems that way. Oh well, I got it taken care of now. I just seems odd that it would not let me format my hard drive. Also, the paperwork I received with it said it would not work if I used DBAN OR fdisk prior to installation. That just seems odd to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom