Change function of enter key on highlighted items - How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
On my Mac (iBook G4 10.4) when I highlight something and hit enter, I'd like it to, you know, open the file. But it doesn't. Hitting "enter" on a highlighted key is like hitting F2 on Windows/*Nix - it allows me to rename the file.

Can I change it so enter opens the file/folder?

Hi,

The freeware program ReturnOpen can help you out here. I haven't tried it out myself though, as I've gotten used to hitting cmd + O to open files.

Hi,

That's what OpenReturn does...

The software author writes: 'Did you recently switch from Windows to Mac? Are you sick and tired of the fact that every time you hit the Return Key to open a file or folder you're prompted to rename it instead? Hate having to hit two keys to open a file? ME TOO! That's why I made ReturnOpen!'

Just to clarify if you're not sure, if you highlight a file or folder, then hit command + O on the keyboard, it will open the file or folder.

can't you just double click?

Well.. um... yeah... but that's not the point. Point is this is a laptop, and touchpads drive me insane. I love using the keyboard and keyboard shortcuts as much as I can.

I just didn't expect I'd need a 3rd party app to make selecting items more sensible. :/

Hi,

It's just the way it is on a Mac. I suppose it would be nice if Apple allowed users to change it in system preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom