what courses should i do to become a computer technition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant tell you nor can anyone else. This is a decision for YOU to make. You have all the information presented! We dont know what you like we dont know nothing!!! This is YOUR LIFE and YOUR DECISION.

You hate software yet everything we talked about is SOFTWARE. Now you are saying you dont hate it and want to pursue this path? That makes no sense at all.

You have to think about it and you have to decide what is best for you. It is no on us to tell you anything but to give you the facts. We have. Now it is time for you to decide.

yes i do dislike software mate but if that's what i have to do to get a good paying job then i will do it. I thought you could become a tech without it but now i know i cant. I ain't getting any help from teachers as to choose my path that's why i am asking you. I like what we talked about before and i like designing webpages. Oh i wish i could do my trade i earnt good money being a bricklayer but had to give it up due to health. Now i am having to retrin all over again i cant do nothing physical anymore so that's why i have choose computers. Where is the best money, as i am looking for something that pays what i earnt as a bricklayer which was £500-£750 clear a week for 4 and a half days work. I know it's my decision but i just need pointed in the right direction and leave the rest to me.
you have no idea how much i value information about this as i will know what certs to get

You dont need Technology at all to have a good paying job. Do you really think Doctors need software? No they need to diagnose what is wrong with someone. You are looking at this all wrong. You think that a Tech is a good paying job? Do you really think that the $9 a hour that people at Geek Squad make is good? Sorry but the real tech jobs are not in what your are looking into. Being a Tech like you want is entry level stuff for Geek Squad.

Now if your talking network administrator and stuff like that then yeah you can make a decent living and not really have all that much software to deal with. But again you will have to know networking like it was the only thing you knew.

We all wish we could just do what we loved and get paid good moeny for it. I would love to be paid to sit at my desk answering questions like this all day and not have to worry about money ever. But face reality already. that doesnt happen. Sorry to be blunt and harsh but it is time that the truth be told and people stop pampering you.

You are NOT going to find ANY tech job on the planet that will net you upwards of £700 a week for only 4 days of work. So if that is what you want, you better look at becoming a lawyer or doctor. Cause Tech it isnt happening. I will tell you that right now. There is no such thing as 4 day or even 4½ day work weeks. You work 7 days a week and all hours of the day if necessary.

So if that is what you really want, best run now. Cause it aint happening. It doesnt happen for Apple OR Microsoft Employees, it certainly wont happen for you. So you need to find a field that can earn you that kinda money for the time you willing to put in. Technology isnt it.

looks like cisco is the answer then and lawyers get paid way more than that for one days sitting at a high court cost £60.000. And that's for PF judge and one defence lawyer and a clerk, i am going down the networking route thanks for putting me on the right track and techs sitting at a desk over here are on £27k upwards. You's are getting robbed over there.

Yes i know this. Even more so in my area. But that is aside from the point. Glad that you have figured out what you are looking to do. Congrats and good luck.

All i'm saying is that you don't need much to be a hardware tech and you can make around 30,000 a year (which is what you posted earlier, or there abouts). Which is all and great, but there is no room for growth and even with 20 years of experience you'd probably only make around 50,000 a year. If you want to make money you need to know software. I'm not saying that you have to program and know everything about it, but you would be doing yourself a service by finishing those classes out.

Reason being is if you just want to be a hardware tech just take a certification or two, land a job at some local PC shop and make 15 dollars for the rest of your life. If you want to make REAL money then you need to know more and will have to have more of a broad understanding and knowledge base with computers.

As mak said, no one can tell you what to do. You have to make that decision for yourself, then go speak with college advisors to tell you which courses need to be taken for that.

It sounds to me like you just like messing with hardware and nothing else. Which is great and you could probably get a job doing that now. But don't expect to make a great dea lof money replacing motherboards and computer fans.

hey hollyoaks, I've just done a HNC computing at Clydebank College. I'm in exactly the same position as you...backbreaking donkey work all my life and now i want to earn a wage in a warm office, I'm currently reading through the MCDST 70-271/70-272 books to hopefully bag a DST job, struggling with it though. When did you start your course? Have you touched on SQL? We did Oracle at Clydebank and VB is a 'baw-buster' but i scraped through it (with help). It helps to sit beside somebody who knows it already (the school-leavers who've done it already are a great help) I'm kicking myself for not carrying on to do HND but I really needed to get earning again.

hollyoaks - listen mate, I recently rejoined the army but before I was running a VERY successful IT support business I was pulling in per quarter £100,000+ after tax do you know why? I learned this mantra early on Hardware the bits you can hit with a hammer, Software the bits you want to hit every day but can't.

You are in the field going to encounter more software and user problems than hardware problems, although in the back of my car I carried enought equipment to outfit a small office with hardware I did that as at times I was hitting 5/6 sites a day and never knew what the issue was before I got there, most of the problems where software related infact I would say a good 80 - 90% of them.

Hardware is easy any monkey can replace ram or build a system but knowing why a SUSE server is throwing a fit is another and knowing how to set up a SAGE system is too, 99% of the time its the user and there interaction with the computer that is at fault so you have to be paitent and walk then through it multiple times. If you cant do that you are best not looking at IT support as a job prospect, and if you want to get into IT look at something like software development but even then there is still a level of user support.

BTW if you want to know my qualifications Net+ Security+ CCSP and CISSP and I have a local award for customer support, I know of what I speak and if you cant handle support you have no place in the world of IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom