Dell Bios issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyracing24

Beta member
I have been having some problems with my laptop, and thought i had a virus that i couldnt get rid of, so i decided to reformat, im usin a flash drive to boot off of, and couldnt access my BIO's, there was a password on it. Its not a password i have set, a buddy of mine has been tryin to explain over vent how to reset it by the pins on the mother board,but im having problems locating them on the mobo.. but i cant find anything on the internet about it.. Ive also serached and try numerous random generic passwords which didnt help any... Thoughts?

Btw the latop is a Dell XPS M1710

With dell, they put on a proprietary password on all of there machines to lock out the user from making any changes to the dell machine such as start-up/devices and the like.

to clear the bios properly, open the laptop. Look for a battery that you'd find in a watch or old electronic roledex. Remove it and wait a couple minutes(max of 5) then press the battery back into the slot.

As for the jumpers, I am not entirely clear if your motherboard has them. Removing the battery will reset your CMOS and clear the administrator password associated with the bios.

Precautions, before you do. Work in a low humidity environment. If you can help it, try a tile floor with a lamanent desk to open the laptop. Make sure the laptop has no power going into it via the adapter or BATTERY. If you do, you can receive a shock and void your warranty.

You don't have to worry about the power in the laptop after you remove the main laptop battery. Keep those precaustions in mind and you'll be good to go.

OK i found the battery, i pulled it, and left it sit over night, and just finished putting it together....Now when it boots up, it loads the bios but then says "invailed configuration information-please run SETUP" BUT then it loads into the Bio setup, and its STILL locked....it wont evne boot to windows now

OK i found the battery, i pulled it, and left it sit over night, and just finished putting it together....Now when it boots up, it loads the bios but then says "invailed configuration information-please run SETUP" BUT then it loads into the Bio setup, and its STILL locked....it wont evne boot to windows now

Is there an option to press F2 to enter the setup option after 5 to 10 minutes? After you replace the battery it resets the bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom