Just got a scholarship! Help me build a gaming computer, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiteflyer1020

Solid State Member
Hey, I was recently granted a $400 scholarship, and am willing to put $300-400 of my own into a computer so I can game. I will be playing steam based games, mostly Day of Defeat: Source, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2, etc...

Note: Currency is Canadian
Note2: Newegg.ca would be preferred for links

Thanks for your anticipated help!!!
Nick

Aren't scholarships written in th eform of a check to the school you're attending...? lol

Aren't scholarships written in th eform of a check to the school you're attending...? lol

he is right to a point

most scholarships go directly to the school...and sometimes if you have money left over after you pay for everything you actually get some back (not in all cases, sometimes it'll just disappear if everything is already covered).

so make sure you actually have the money before diving into something lol

Well, what are your preferences: AMD or Intel; nvidea or ATI? You have an OS, keyboard, mouse, monitor, or are you starting from scratch?

No preference on either AMD or Intel
No preference on either Nvidia or ATI
I have a Windows 7 home premium license
Here's the thing about the next part...I have a 52'' tv(720p) with HDMI in that I would like to use as the monitor, so wireless mouse+keyboard would be strongly preferred
I would like to watch movies, play games, etc. on the tv

so $800 canadian budget, no preference on brands, have OS and "monitor" , and require wireless keyboard/mouse....

i'll work on a build if no one else gets to it after i get back from dinner.....

Just remember, you won't be able to have huge detail on the screen without a really good video card set up

I'm really not a stickler for graphics, I just wanna be able to play the games...When I move out of my current situation in June, I will be getting a 32'' TV(or 26'' monitor), as a 52'' is too big, I really don't care if I'm playing the game on the lowest settings or not, as long as I can play without too much lag.

Thanks a lot, Wafflehammer!

uhmm i got a build together but it's at $885 before shipping :\

gonna look at some other options for motherboard/cpu....

edit: and i forgot the mouse/keyboard..which is another $50ish :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom