Building again, after many years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elarya

Beta member
Hello all :)

I used to be a heavy gamer, built my computer and one for my son years ago. And then also built another on the side. However, it has been a while, since my GeForce 4200 was fantastic at that time... Anyway, I have not kept up, and it was in 2000 or thereabouts that I built my last computer, and it is still running :) Just looking at all the new technology out there, it is amazing.

I am upgrading, and want a computer that will last, give me the best "futurebility." I also want it to run Star Wars when it comes out next year! :)

For my computer, I am thinking about spending $1200-$1700. I would love to go less, but do not want to skimp, and willing to go more, if the reason/value is there. So there really is no set cut-dry budget. I like the highest quality, but also a great value.

Also, this computer will be used a lot, as I work through the home and this will also be my work computer. So I will be running all day, and well into the night hours, and sometimes for 2-day stretches. I will also be using Word & Photoshop, often with many programs and files open at a time.

Here is what I am looking at so far:

Montor: Samsung SyncMaster 216BW 21.6-inch LCD Monitor Already have.

After "refreshing" myself to today's technology (wow), I know, I want the following:
Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield
SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850

I am looking at this power supply: What do you think?
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

A question I have, when I am looking around at cases, how do I know the power supply will fit in the case? What I mean is, when I built mine, eons ago, I had to upgrade the power supply. The new one, though it fit nicely in the case, it covered part of a vent at the top.

When I built our computers, there were no guides, like there are now, or many people to ask.. I kind of "winged it" and did a lot of praying :)

My only last problem is a motherboard. I want one that will last. I do like the ASUS brand. What do you suggest for a mobo?

with that budget, the i7 is a good choice. the gfx card and psu are also good choices. that psu will support adding a second card later on if you want.

as long as the psu is an atx type psu, it will fit in any mid-atx, full-atx, and some micro-atx cases. if youre unsure about a case youre looking at, just run it by us first :)

the actual building of the comp. is still simple, mostly everything fits in one way.

for mobos for the i7, some brands to look from are asus, evga, gigabyte and biostar.

Yeah with that budget i7 is the beat choice. I would look at the ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 and EVGA E758 motherboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom