Motherboard test card - Flip-POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximas

Baseband Member
I recently purchased a “Flip Post” motherboard test card. My problem stems from the manual that came with the card being almost too thorough, if that is possible. I would very much appreciate someone condensing what I would need to know into a more palatable “cliff –notes” version.

Thanks in advance!

I recently purchased a “Flip Post” motherboard test card. My problem stems from the manual that came with the card being almost too thorough, if that is possible. I would very much appreciate someone condensing what I would need to know into a more palatable “cliff –notes” version.

Thanks in advance!

how condensed do you want? you plug it into the isa or pci slot (depending on which one you have), you turn the system on, and it displays codes on the led display that gives you clues as to whats going on. it sort of is actually lame, because simple cards like the flip post only really intercepts the BIOS identifier code and translates it into a digital number for you to look up and tells you the gist of where it was at and therefor the problem it's 'probably' having.

how condensed do you want? you plug it into the isa or pci slot (depending on which one you have), you turn the system on, and it displays codes on the led display that gives you clues as to whats going on. it sort of is actually lame, because simple cards like the flip post only really intercepts the BIOS identifier code and translates it into a digital number for you to look up and tells you the gist of where it was at and therefor the problem it's 'probably' having.

Your last sentence is about where I want to start. Are there cards that do a better job of translating what is actually going on? The reason I bought the card was to better diagnose what is going on rather than guessing or playing swap the component.

Where I'm at now – obviously, I realize that I have to start with the BIOS maker. Once this is confirmed I then know the instruction set or routine that is used during the POST. My issue is with the specifics of the actual codes... that flip post is giving me. I'm not sure I fully understand how to interpret the codes I am getting.

Is the first code you receive the most important, or is it just a matter of that being the first thing that has gone awry? Where should one start? And again, is there a card that is better with the translations – if that is the proper way of thinking about it?

Again, thanks!

It runs through and stops completely at the one that is appearing problematic. If it runs all the way through, the POST card should have a code telling you it is complete but I don't know about that specific card. But that is the basic concept, it runs through all the way if good, or runs and then stops at a number idntifying the part of POST that is not responding properly to the card's diagnostics sequence.

It runs through and stops completely at the one that is appearing problematic. If it runs all the way through, the POST card should have a code telling you it is complete but I don't know about that specific card. But that is the basic concept, it runs through all the way if good, or runs and then stops at a number idntifying the part of POST that is not responding properly to the card's diagnostics sequence.

Okay, this helps. I ran a test on a board that I knew was bad. It listed 6 different codes. I was confused because there were six codes displayed on the card. However, if what you are saying is correct, and I believe it to be, the last code should be the issue… where the POST encountered an error…

I appreciate everyone's help thus far.

Yep, he's exactly right. basically you'll boot up with the card in, and as the board goes through post, it will kickback bios codes, which are displayed on the unit through each of its tests. when it halts on one of the tests, it will give a error code, which will remain on the display. you then look this code up in the book, and it gives you the info. its that simple really.
you also have leds I believe for other stuff like supply voltage, clock and run cycle to I believe.,

Yep, he's exactly right. basically you'll boot up with the card in, and as the board goes through post, it will kickback bios codes, which are displayed on the unit through each of its tests. when it halts on one of the tests, it will give a error code, which will remain on the display. you then look this code up in the book, and it gives you the info. its that simple really.
you also have leds I believe for other stuff like supply voltage, clock and run cycle to I believe.,

Thanks. Yes it does have all the extras you mention in your final sentence. I guess I just over complicate things...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom