Worklog: Orange55

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, this really IS a long-term mod hey :)
bit messy in the reflection hey? tsk tsk :p

lol, the place is a disaster....half the house is under construction so it's all piled around the main living room. I really should be doing the trim rather than etching!

This past weekend we got a couch for the basement...turns out it that although it stands on end at the various platforms into the basement (we checked measurements) it didn't fit considering the tilting and twisting that needed to happen. Eventually I had to take out two doorways, cut out the framing from to the roof, knock out a step, and finally take out a section of the ceiling...all to get the couch into the basement. A one step forward, two back sort of weekend.

3-2-1 CLEAR! ZAP….it's alive! Thanks to Trotter for unlocking and reviving this old thread for me, those who were following will remember I had to put the project on hold due to weather. The unheated garage means no painting much of the year.

Anyways, as the weather warms up it's time to finish this off. Despite the time passing I still don't like these feet I made and so I figured it's time to start again. Not sure where I first saw this, it was a while back and I think it was over at mnpctech.com, to whoever it was…gracias.

So starting off with the hole saw and cutting out a number of black and orange discs:
041.jpg

042.jpg

Then using a bolt I glue them together with acrylic fast drying adhesive:
046.jpg

You can really see how rough that hole saw cut is. So 15 minutes later…time to start sanding them to an even finish on the belt sander, sorry for the poor photo, hard to tell on that little lcd if the focus is good, need a new camera:
030.jpg

The finish is so much better already:
032.jpg

But still, so much more sanding to go…another update soon.

Ok, so the sanding continues now on my drill press using a chuck from some random buffing kit I have lying around, in a pinch any old bolt will work. Here you can see the progressive sanding:

sanding.jpg

The last stage is a few seconds with the blow torch to polish it up. Here you see from stage 1 to 4:

037-1.jpg

Worked out better that the white ones from before IMO, what do you guys think?

Now time to do the rest of them.

wow, that looks great! MUCH better than the plain white :thumbsup:

Oh, for sure. I was going to paint them gloss orange, the same colour as the interior so they wouldn't have been white. That would have been tragic to the build. I was thinking more size, these are about half the size the others would have been.

So figured out it's easier to sand all the feet at once rather than one at a time:
052.jpg

Here's the finished product:
059.jpg

Same as with the other feet I made I need to drill it out a bit to sink the bolt head into the foot using some Premium PL adhesive:
073.jpg

064.jpg

Now ready for the case!
071.jpg

So that's about it for now, the weather needs to warm up some more before the painting starts, which is the next step before finalizing the rest. Just need to build the paint booth now…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom