Laptop BSOD/Resets/Turns Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashedpumpkins

In Runtime
Well I've been through a world of trouble with my laptop. In the last 3 months I've had my laptop for 2 weeks. I've sent it back to HP 3 times to be fixed. This last time I sent it back because my Laptop turns off/resets/and gets a BSOD. They told me the issue is my third party RAM. Alright, so they sent it back and I'm going to play around with the RAM and stick in some of my other RAM. First, I want to see which RAM stick has gone bad. I have two 2 gig sticks.

Well I ran two memtests for about 6 hours with the RAM and had no issues at all. (Previously my laptop would turn off within the first 15 minutes or so of it being used. Sometimes it'd last a few hours) So I was a little surprised. Memtest showed no errors. It was using up almost all 4 gigs of ram and 100% CPU. I pulled it off and started to use my laptop for about 30 minutes and it restarted on me. I haven't placed the other RAM or taken out 1 stick yet. I was hopping there might be some software to help recreate the problem. I've used 3 different hard drives and they all experience the issue. The motherboard was also switched out by HP at one point.

I'm somewhat confused now... I don't know if it's even the RAM. Any recommendations? Any other software? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Hi,

Just to be clear, have you tried using your laptop with just the stock RAM modules installed (i.e. original RAM modules) and if so, does the same error occur?

Also just to clarify, has automatic restart been disabled? If so, when the blue screen appears, what information does it give you?

Hi,

Just to be clear, have you tried using your laptop with just the stock RAM modules installed (i.e. original RAM modules) and if so, does the same error occur?

Also just to clarify, has automatic restart been disabled? If so, when the blue screen appears, what information does it give you?
I haven't switched in the original ram yet. I'm going to do that in just a second. I'll also try just 1 of my 2 gig sticks later too. As for the restart I'm not sure what you mean. The screen goes black and it's at the boot menu. When it BSOD's I used to have an image of it, but I don't anymore. I'll take one when I see it. Thanks

sounds to me like the notebook is overheating. Have you tried to disassemble down to the heat exchange and fan,,, or blow some compressed air in the oposit direction through the exhaust port.

sounds to me like the notebook is overheating. Have you tried to disassemble down to the heat exchange and fan,,, or blow some compressed air in the oposit direction through the exhaust port.
I'll give those a shot to see if it helps. However when running two coppies of memtest it pushes the CPU at 100%. After running it all night I still have no errors. I've run it on the two sticks together (crashed after stopping the test 30 mins later), with 1 stick, and the 2nd stick. It hasn't crashed on either. I'm not sure why it's not crashing. It was crashing like crazy on me before sending it in... Such a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom