Lynnfield build (v2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenofix

Baseband Member
Ok. This is my 2nd attempt at creating good build.

I live in Australia so all prices will be in Australia Dollars. (Conversion rate is at around 1AUD:0.92USD and shops have taking advantage of this by not lowering their prices :hrmph:) I plan to buy my parts from MSY or PCDIY or CCPU. These stores are all close to me so it will be quite convenient. So here is my idea for a build.

Note: it is in order of importance

Comments and opinions are appreciated.

---------------------------< START >---------------------------

CPU
Intel Core i7 860 - $345

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA P55A-UD4P - $230

Memory
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) Kit DDR3-1333 - $119

Storage
Seagate SATAII 1TB HDD - $99

Optical Drive
Samsung SATA Dual Layer DVDRW - $43

GPU
Gigabyte GTX 260 896MB NVIDIA GeForce Graphics Card - $214

Case
Coolermaster Gladiator 600 - $90

PSU
Antec EarthWatts 500W - $95

Monitor - Optional
24" Benq G2420HD Monitor - $229

OS - Optional
Windows 7 Home Premium OEM - $105

TOTAL = AU$1569

-----------------------------< END >-----------------------------

Thanks for any advice.

i like it.
What will the comp be used for?
If purely games, you might consider saving some $ on a core-i5 750, and using it to get a gtx 275 graphics card. As the main difference between i7 860 and i5 750 is you get hyperthreading in i7 860, which wont be utilized in games.

Why don't you buy an ATI card? They're cheaper and have better performance. I would recommend a HD5770, it's in the same price range of the NVIDIA 265 and supports DX11.

i like it.
If purely games, you might consider saving some $ on a core-i5 750, and using it to get a gtx 275 graphics card. As the main difference between i7 860 and i5 750 is you get hyperthreading in i7 860, which wont be utilized in games.

I say +1 to downgrading to i5 750 and getting a better GPU if you plan on mainly gaming.

people, hello? since when is the GTX 260 not a good gaming card?

stick with the i7 860 and either a 4870/GTX 260 c216 or a 5770.

people, hello? since when is the GTX 260 not a good gaming card?

stick with the i7 860 and either a 4870/GTX 260 c216 or a 5770.

Didn't say it wasn't a good card, I meant that he should get a newer gen. GPU. i.e. 5xxx series.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

i like it.

I actually want hyperthreading.

I'm going to use the computer for general purposes. Some occasional but high intensity games, image and video editing (pretty much Flash, After Effects, Photoshop, Premiere Pro open at the same time), general web browsing and word processing. I really want this computer to last at least 4 years.

Why don't you buy an ATI card? They're cheaper and have better performance. I would recommend a HD5770, it's in the same price range of the NVIDIA 265 and supports DX11.

I am more biased against AMD :grin:

I say +1 to downgrading to i5 750 and getting a better GPU if you plan on mainly gaming.

I'm don't really care what GPU I have. I wouldn't even mind using the integrated graphics. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom