Time to OC my i7 920

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is my point. The real world difference from 3.8 to 4.4 is not even noticeable. Yes they can run at very high temps up to the 80's no problem but why run them that hot with no real benefit.

For a first timer why not lean towards caution until they get comfortable.

Slay's at 4.2 is right at 70C which is perfect in my book for a 24/7 setup.

They will run fine hotter. Lord knows I have had mine pretty toasty making superpi runs but I do not see the need to push it hard for 24/7.

Yeah I agree with you there, that's not what I was posting about. You'd just said they'd run fine UP TO 70c, which is not true, they'll still be running fine 20c higher. nehuz yeah, just was trying to clear that up :)

These fans are priced pretty cheap, you could always order 2 or 3 of them just to make sure you get a good one.
Newegg.com - IPCQUEEN IPC-606010 60mm Case Fan - Case Fans

Here are a few pictures so you can see how I hooked it up :D

vreg1.jpg

vreg2.jpg

Thanks for the help slaymate. My question is how did you have them blowing? Obviously the one attached to the TRUE is blowing out of the case but what about the other one that you replaced the stock fan with? If it blows down then that is right onto the Video Card in the top slot. So you have it blowing up into the HS? Also since those are 3 pin connectors I'm guessing to just plug them into my MB. Thanks for all the help guys...

Edit:
What about these? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835705033

Edit 2 Wow i just realized how dumb I am and that the stock HS fan was replaced so it moves air the same way as the stock fan... wow long day at work I guess lol :(

You can tell which way they're blowing, because they always blow air away from the open side of the fan. u no, the side where you can see wires, ball bearings, coils, etc.

e.g. in the second to last pic slay posted the little black fan on the right is blowing towards the heatsink, the one on the left is blowing away from it.

The fan I picked spins at a slower rpm, the less chance of it spinning apart and it still pushes more air, 3300 rpm w/ 26.5 cfm vs.the one you picked at 5300 rpm w/ 24.1 cfm. Your choice, after looking it's the shipping they kill you with on all of these fans.

The fan I'm mainly concerned with on your mobo is the fan I have attached to the True (with zip-ties, tie wire also works) that is blowing on the Vreg heatsink. If you'll notice the fan is at a slight angle blowing up and thru the heatsink. The fins on the Mosfet heatsink are angled slightly down so the fan blowing up and thru works best :D

If you'll also look back to the picture of the Northbridge heatsink in which I circle the tab. If you can add a small ramsink or 2 to the tab it will also help. A couple of these maybe?
Newegg.com - Enzotech MOS-C1 C1100 Forged Copper Heatsinks only - Memory & Chipset Cooling

Thanks for all the help slaymate... I still might go with the fan I picked just because there were some really negative reviews on the other one... I don't think I'll need another fan controller for those 2 will I? I can just plug them into my MB no problem... Those mini copper heatsinks look awesome... should I get a mini fan to blow on those or just leave it to case cooling to do the job? Again thanks for all the help! I'll need to know how you Jimmy rigged the VReg HS fan to your TRUE before I put it in :) Again, thanks for all the help man!

Edit: I dropped my VCORE down to 1.20625V and my VTT to +150 and ran LinX a couple times and it was stable... VREG temp. is still high though but with those new mini fans/mini heat sinks that should come down nicely :)

If your mobo has available power headers you can use them, otherwise you'll need to use adapters.

As for the mini copper sinks, it's really up to you. I have 4 120mm fans in my side panel so I already had air blowing on that area. This stuff is really all experimental, try it with and without an extra fan (said the man with 22 fans in his PC). I'm prone to try almost anything I can think of or see when it comes to Cooling, I'm often the subject of family ridicule :D

I'll try to find some time tomorrow at work to draw a sketch of how I attached the fan to the true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom