Re-install Windows XP????!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizmo90

In Runtime
ur fam computer is starting to get VERY sluggish! like wu cant run more than one account without maxxing out the CPU......and the some games will not play any more;)....i just need to know if u re-install Windows XP home edition will delete all the files stored up
[pictures, games, word doc., videos, etc.,] if it does we hav a WD 60GB HDD that maybe we can back up da files......BTW how do u re-install Windows XP cuz we dont hav a WINDOWS disk that i know of...lol.....thanxxxxxxxx 4 ur help:D

without disk u cannot do anything.

I don't think the files will be delted, never tried it myself though. If u format all files will be gone.

Try searching on Google ( Like us all ) for some adware/spyware programs. Search for Spyware Sweeper and Lavasoft Ad-Aware. The reason ur system mayb running slow is because its jammed with spyware/adware and viruses etc ...

Also try gettin yaself an anti virus prog. Search AVG AntiVirus or avast! AntiVirus.

ALSO, check out SYSTEM MECHANIC. This rules, it cleans all the system out, stuff like temporary files that can really clog ur system up, and cookies, junk files, etc ....

AND ALSO ... ( lol ) try doing a Defrag! Located in Start > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter

Good Luck Mate!

Delboy :)

Yes, I'd definatly run a spyware scanner and AV before reinstalling. Chances are, that will fix the problem.

i heard that a windows sys. will start to get scrambled after about a year.... hmmmmmm????? i dont really know though.....
i guess i need to get a spyware solution [i used to hav one] i already have Adaware

:D:D

gizmo90 said:
i heard that a windows sys. will start to get scrambled after about a year.... hmmmmmm????? i dont really know though.....

yes, it dies slowly, depending on how many stuff u install/un-install and how you take care of your system

partitioning itself does not improve preformance. It depends on the way u use the partitions. If u install and un-install a lot of applications very often it will get fragmented and the programs will get slower. If u copy and delete ur files&docs alot they will also get slower. If u install your programs and never add any programs again but u delete/put alot of files&docs on the same partition all the time, only the files&docs will get slower. The applications won't get fragmented alot.

if you have a 18.6 (20gig) hard drive there is 15-16 gigs full, it will start to act retarded.

now if you break it down to 2 partition (7.6 system, 11 gig storeage) and you have 10.6 gig full on the storage drive (plus you can put your paging file there to speed up performance) and 4-5 gigs full on the system drive, it will move efficienty and a lot faster than the first setup

gizmo90 said:
ur fam computer is starting to get VERY sluggish! like wu cant run more than one account without maxxing out the CPU......and the some games will not play any more;)....i just need to know if u re-install Windows XP home edition will delete all the files stored up
[pictures, games, word doc., videos, etc.,] if it does we hav a WD 60GB HDD that maybe we can back up da files......BTW how do u re-install Windows XP cuz we dont hav a WINDOWS disk that i know of...lol.....thanxxxxxxxx 4 ur help:D

system restore will revive your system. get in the habit of creating a system restore point when everything is working right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom