Its my first time and im nervous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking from personal experience...I've never had a problem with building on a carpet. I've only built a couple of dozen rigs, not as many as some around here but the 7 systems I have in the house I've torn apart and put back together more times than I can count....every single time on the carpet in front of the TV. I've never once had a static problem.

It takes months to figure stuff out sometimes... That is the only thing I must say... I right now either have a short connection with mobo and case or a bent pin and i have had it for 5 months... Haven't had time to start it up out of the case though.

The hardest parts IMO are:
1) The rear IO shield - usually this is a tinny piece of junk that makes motherboard installation a PITA
2) The front panel pins - fiddly and annoying depending on the case and mobo

Parts that are tricky first time only
1) Getting the spacers in the correct holes - depends on the case, motherboard etc
2) Getting the correct amount of TIM onto the CPU - I put a blob about the size of a pea in the middle of the CPU and let the pressure from the heatsink base spread it out, different people do this different ways
3) Heatsink installation (particularly on 775) - it should be a tight fit which can make it can be a bit fiddly and unnerving

I don't know about all ASUS mobo's, but I know every Asus mobo I've used has had a REALLY nice IO shield with cushioning and it's sexy black colored with a silver rim. It makes it just a tad bit easier to install :wink_tongue:

And yea, heatsink installation and TIM can be ... puzzling at first. But some heatsinks are easier then others... I know the Tuniq Tower in small cases was HARDDDDDDD to install the first time, but then you got the hang of it after a bit :).

Just throwing it out there that sometimes you can make it easier on yourself when you buy different brands.

I'm currently planning my first "build" however I have taken all of my parents and my own computers apart and put them together a bunch of times and it is rather simple. Most things are labeled or they can only fit where they are supposed to go. Also if you are buying new components(as opposed to used), you will get manuals. Basically i say that it is easy because the way that I got into hardware was by taking my parents 1st 2 computers apart (they were both broken when i dismantled them) just to look at what was inside. When I put them back together, the one of them worked! (this was all done while sitting on a rug, and setting the pieces on the rug)

Generally speaking, you can do it. Might be a little foreign at first, but the more you do it, the more comfortable you are, and the better you get.

DON'T BAN ME Please! There is a 10 Picture per post limit!

here is a step by step picture tutorial

pick out the parts you want to buy
002.jpg

007.jpg

lets start by getting your **** together
021.jpg

then bust out the tool kit
022.jpg

be careful when inserting the CPU, don't bend any pins or else....
just drop it in and it'll fit snug
023.jpg

024.jpg

now, don't forget to lock it into place
025.jpg

026.jpg

the heatsink is just as important
027.jpg

028.jpg

030.jpg

do not forget to plug in the power for that heatsink fan
032.jpg

time to install the memory
033.jpg

first open up those white tabs on the side
034.jpg

now line up the socket
035.jpg

lastly push it down, and those white tabs should lock the module into place
036.jpg

now the case
038.jpg

again, have everything ready
041.jpg

your case will vary when installing a optical drive, but for this tutorial purpose, I will include pictures
043.jpg

your case will vary when installing hard drive
045.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg

and power supply
050.jpg

now motherboard, do not forget the brass stand-offs
048.jpg

049.jpg

plug in those connectors, front audio, usb, power and reset
052.jpg

now the gamer's delight, video card
053.jpg

just line it up and pop it in
054.jpg

don't forget to plug in those power connectors
24 pin for motherboard
055.jpg

6 pin or 8 pin for video card
056.jpg

optical + hard drives
057.jpg

4 or 8 pin for cpu
059.jpg

operation complete, now close her up
061.jpg

063.jpg

the monitor
064.jpg

connector the power and dvi/vga cable
067.jpg

068.jpg

now keyboard and mouse
070.jpg

turning it on and install the OS at default settings
072.jpg

overclocking later if you want
076.jpg

078.jpg

now sit back and enjoy
082.jpg

083.jpg

084.jpg

086.jpg