Time to OC my i7 920

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your temps are a little high for 3.4Ghz, you may need to blow the dust out of your Megahalem and Kaze fan. And you may want to consider finding a way to hook a fan up to your Vreg heatsink, 75dC is high for 3.4Ghz.

To test for complete stabilty set LinX for 50 passes, but keep your eyes on your temps. LinX will get everything hotter than you'll ever experience with Normal Usage. If your Vreg get's any closer to 80 try backing down on your CPU VTT voltage.

woah! Just noticed that 75c. What vtt voltage are you running at? You shouldn't really have had to increase that at all. for a 3.4Ghz OC you can basically achieve that on stock voltages. I had my Vcore at about 1.27-1.29, and my VTT at 1.29

Ok newb question... Why is it that my Bios is set up with the VCore at 1.275V but the HWMonitor is showing it at 1.32V? Also as far as the VTT goes the options are like +200MV etc... just play around with this then to see what I should be at? I have it set at +200MV in Bios but the HWMonitor is showing it at ~1.40V... Sorry for asking dumb questions but this is my first OC and I'm very grateful for everyone on these boards helping me out :)

It shows your VCore that high, because it will fluctuate a little bit and go up when under full load. And +200MV is fine. Leave it at that. Basically it's saying 1.2V + 200MV = 1.4V.

I wonder why the VREG is so high then? So in the Bios leave the VCore at 1.2750 and the VTT at +200MV?

Thanks for the help Nubbleet! I should also look at a fan to lower the VREG... what one would you recommend Slaymate?

dude, are you serious? They can run fine at 85c+
I had mine running at about 85C under full load for ages, and it's still rock solid (reset the oc a while back and I've been too lazy to oc it again ;) no need really)

but yeah, 70C isn't even close to pushing it.

That is my point. The real world difference from 3.8 to 4.4 is not even noticeable. Yes they can run at very high temps up to the 80's no problem but why run them that hot with no real benefit.

For a first timer why not lean towards caution until they get comfortable.

Slay's at 4.2 is right at 70C which is perfect in my book for a 24/7 setup.

They will run fine hotter. Lord knows I have had mine pretty toasty making superpi runs but I do not see the need to push it hard for 24/7.

I'll agree with you Hef... I now need to figure out how to bring my VREG down... just putting a fan on there I asusme...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom