Time to OC my i7 920

Status
Not open for further replies.
If linX has ran for an hour without a BSOD then we can say that you have a stable OC.

What were the temps during the run?

My temps were like 47/48/51/46... I guess I was expecting for LinX to say like "done testing" or something like that? I had it set for times to run 10. I ran it for almost 12 hours on problem size ~25,000 and Mem 4747 (I selected all)... what does LinX actually do? Was I using the right program lol, I know that sounds like a dumb question but I guess I was expecting for it to say "completed testing" or something... So now should I bump my BCLK up a little from 161 and see what I can get stable with good temps? What temps. should I be looking at to stay around for everyday use? Thanks for any help guys! Back to work Yay!

Your not telling us the correct temps, that's why I asked for screenshot.
Look at the screenshot below as I explain what's going on.

LinX was started at it's Default settings, the only change I made was to the "Times to run" which I set at 10. You can also see that the test Finished without errors in 2 minutes 44 seconds. I'm at 4.2GHz so I'll finished faster than you at 3.2GHz or 3.3GHz, but you should have finished in under 5 minutes.

Open My Computer and navigate to whatever Folder contains LinX.exe and then delete the file named LinX.ini, this will reset LinX to it's Default settings the next time you open it.

Back to the Screenshot, looking at Hardware Monitor you'll see I've highlighted a few areas to note. At the top we see Value - Min - Max
Value is equal to "Real Time" at the present moment in time.
Min is equal to the Minimun Value recorded since the program started running
Max is equal to the Maximun Valve recorded since the program started running

We want to know the Max Values of Core#0 thru Core#3.

I've also highlighted the VREG and it's temperature. If it hit's 80dC then the mobo will shutdown. You want this to stay in the Hi 60's to low 70's under Full load. The VREG is the voltage regulator/mosfets, its heatsink is located to the left of the cpu socket. The higher your CPU VTT voltage setting, the hotter the VREG gets. You may need to add a fan to it's heatsink.

Run 10 passes of LinX again at it's Default setting with HWMonitor running and "Post a Screenshot". I want to see everything please :D

linx.jpg

Slay how do you keep your mosfets so cool???

I have 120 and 60 mm fans blowing on it and it still reaches 80C+ on load.

The Classified has a better heatsink and I've got a fan blowing on it.

With my old E758-A1 mobo I just had a single 60mm fan blowing on it. and at 4.2GHz under full load it hovered around 72dC. You may want to take the heatsink off and make sure the thermal tape is applied properly (you have to use the tape, without it the heatsink won't fit snuggly). If your temps are still high then you need to check the Northbridge heatsink as there's a tab on it that also cools a small part of the Vreg. Here's a picture, the tab is circled.
nbmosfet.jpg

every day use for an i7 I would not want much more than 65C they can run fine up to 70C but I do not like pushing it that much for a 24/7 setup.

dude, are you serious? They can run fine at 85c+
I had mine running at about 85C under full load for ages, and it's still rock solid (reset the oc a while back and I've been too lazy to oc it again ;) no need really)

but yeah, 70C isn't even close to pushing it.

Here is is my screen shot Slaymate! Thanks for all the help guys... My temps seem a little high but I had the fan on max... maybe my room is too warm lol :)

Looks good to me, the only thing I'd say is you might want to take a look at reseating your HS. You've got a 5C degree spread between your cores there, I'm sure you could get them a little closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom