Problems with brand new HD 4870

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaskTool

In Runtime
Received the card in the mail today. Hooked it up. Tested Left 4 dead 2 demo.

Constant 60 fps, game looked beautiful. I was impressed.

Then ran the crysis demo. Looked really nice, while I was waking straight down the beach, on all high settings I was getting 50-60 fps. Awesome right? Though I figured if I turned to face the trees, and all the vegetation that the card might have to work more and the fps would decrease. And when I did so, my monitor shut off.

Crap, so I turned off the computer, rebooted after making sure everything was snug, and such. I then assumed it was a one time coincidence.

Trotter told me my drivers crashed and told me to download the correct ones. So I went and downloaded the latest drivers, which in reality, where the exact same ones I was using before when this happened. After about a few hours of playing other games like san andreas, and left 4 dead, I decided to run the catalyst auto tuner and then try crysis again.

This time I was walking down the beach and then immediately once again, when I turned to face the trees and vegetation, my monitor shut off and wouldnt turn back on.

Could somebody explain whats happening? I mean like it's just the crysis demo, maybe this version of catalyst and the crysis demo have conflicts or something?

If you could give me some answers I would appreciate it.

thanks

It sounds like the Video card might be overheating. Does just the monitor shut off or does the whole system?

Just the monitor

I just set the fan speed to 100% and then tried crysis again, and it still shut off my monitor.

Maybe I should get rid of the card. I never had any problems with Nvidia cards, this sucks.

The side panel is off my computer giving a bit of air flow, I don't know what else can be done.

I have never heard of a brand new hardware product that has heat issues straight out of the box.

Maybe my power supply is to blame?

I forgot to mention that when I set the fan speed for 100% crysis lasted considerably longer than before, and after a while I was convinced that the fan fixed the problem. But after about 5 minutes of playing, the monitor shut off again.

Update again: I uninstalled the new drivers and installed the older ones off the disc, and when I rebooted, the resolution and color depth were extremely low. So then windows asked to set the resolution and color depth higher, which it did. I then set the resolution to 1024x768, and ran crysis. The game lasted 1 second before the monitor shut off. I then rebooted the computer and I had no display. I turned off the computer and waited a few seconds, and then turned it back on and I had display. When windows came up, it was back to 8 bit color and low resolution.

When I installed the newer drivers the first time, it gave me a similar problem saying something like the drivers werent compatible with my graphics adapter, and so I really didn't know what to think of that, I guess like it ended up being fine with left 4 dead 2 and other games since they ran. Only in crysis does my monitor turn off.

When I had the newer drivers installed there was an option, or V something something, where it automatically resets the graphics card when the card doesnt respond to the drivers or something? and it was by default, enabled. So I disabled that, and then instead of my monitor turning off, instead I got a white screen, while playing crysis.

I'm kind of angry. I'm never buying another ati card again.

White screen occurs every time catalyst is not running. So basically I get a white screen every time VPU recover is disabled. After the white screen, the monitor turns off, with vpu recover on, the monitor just shuts off.

It almost sounds like a driver problem if it shuts down in a second, that would be really fast for a card to get hot enough to shut down. Just to make sure, try playing one of the games that work and check the temp using gpuz: GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility That should tell you if heat is a problem for Crysis.

made a support ticket to XFX and they wrote back and told me to use driver sweeper, to clean out the drivers, and then reinstall the ati drivers. I did, it, ran crysis and it still screws up. Told them, and they haven't wrote me back :[

70C Min

87C Current

90C Max

It's really cold outside today and we don't have the heat on, so I just took off the side cover for my computer, and now it's 55C idle

Ran stability again, and this time it's:

58C min

80C Current

80 Max

After 10 minutes of playing garry's mod, my screen turned white and could not see anything.

I could still hear the in-game sounds.

Couple pictures of the inside of my computer, crap quality webcam shots. The side panel is off, so I don't know what else could be done on my end if heat was an issue. Maybe remove one of the molex to pci connectors and instead use the one off the power supply? Would that even effect my card? if it didnt have enough power wouldn't it just not work at all?

Edited again, because I decided to run crysis in windowed mode, and on the side, have catalyst running showing my gpu temperature. I put the fan speed at 100%, and crysis ran for about a minute, as the temperature gradually increased until it hit 67C, and then my monitor shut off. 67C doesn't seem that high to me, but on the other hand, I think catalyst showed a lower temperature than furmark, so maybe catalyst isn't accurate. Or they are purposely logging a smaller temp to cover their asses, who knows.

_
Edit.

They wrote me back, and told told me to make sure I tested both monitor ports on the card, and then asked if I could test another monitor. I mean like..wow.. it takes them a full day to respond, the least they could do is be like "and if this doesn't work then this and this and this, and if that doesn't work then" etc etc etc, but anyway, yeah obviously none of his suggestions worked.

It's been a few days since I got the card. It's probably too late to ship it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom