Confusion on necessities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumbi

Baseband Member
Hey guys, sorry I'm posting a good bit, just wanting to get into PC building for gaming but have a lot of points I'm still confused on even after googling (and learning) a lot of info. My question is, there are PCs with specs that kill not only the required specs for some games, but are also much better than the recommended specs as well. Is the extra hardware and the $1000+ really necessary to play some games smoothly. Thank you in advance!

What games are you planning on playing? A person doesn't have to spend "thousands" but 1,200-1400 puts together a nice gaming pc. With gaming the gpu is, imo, equally important as the cpu. Even with the congestion on the motherboard, having the gpu free up more of the cpu's time is still important. How much are you wanting to spend on a build?

My initial thought was around $400, but it sounds like $500 is more likely. I don't mind upgrading later when I have money, just want a mobo that will support newer hardware (the slot types are the same, will support new CPU and GPU's ets). But Modern Warfare 2, Warhammer Online, and Mortal online when it comes out. Plenty more but that gives you an idea.

Is it necessary? no.....but better system ability is based on clearing away bottlenecks or the slowest links in the system for the best performance. the best performance allows higher framerates at high resolutions, faster load times and more enjoyable experience in a general sense. anytime however you get into the top tier systems you are going to be wasting your money from a performance/cost perspective, but some people don't care. However, I remember when I used to multiplay against some of my friends, I could set my resolution ultra high and snipe incredibly fast with extreme precision, and there was nothing they could do about it. I'll admit it was the difference in our systems for a large part not that I was some super uber player. so, you decide if its worth it to you I guess. people buying premium ultra new gpu's for instance often buy more functionality then is actually often used, and have to put up with lousy drivers for awhile to boot that are flawed. it's all a crap shoot and worth it though to some. systems are way more then their Mhz cpu rating though thats for sure. salesmen will try to con you with the first thing they say of what 'speed' it is, but there's way more to it then that. that system Muffinman put up isn't to bad at all really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom