Win 98 vers Win 2000 & Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

muckmail

Baseband Member
If a person was to compare Win 98 to Win 2000 and Win XP
Can all programs that run on Win 98 run on Win 2000 and Win XP? I have heard that Win 98
can run DOS programs? Can the Win XP & 2000 do that? I think some Win 98 programs
will not run on Win XP. Thank you for answering my questions but a person needs to know
what they are getting into before changing to other operating systems and I can't fine any
good comparsion pages on MS website. Some mentioned that Windows 2000 has a restore
feature like Win Me which is good. I guess Win 98 and Win XP does not have the
restore feature.

WinXP has powerful restore feature that didnt even came in Me/2000.

very old games definately dont run on WinXP, but you can adjust compatibility mode as like running in 98/Me. else I havent seen any program that used to run on 98 didnt ran on my XP.

ME, 2000 and XP all have the system restore feature. Almost all DOS 16bit programs run in Win98 and ME and some of them run in XP and 2000. Some advanced programs like DriveImage and PartitionMagic have different executables for Win9x/ME and NT (NT, 2000 XP) systems.

You CAN get XP and 2000 to run most old Dos based games. Its a hassle to do, sometimes, as you'll need to have good knowledge on how to manually configure mem management and how to setup autoexec and config., anyhow, what you do is get a virtual machine. VMWare does this nicely. It essentially reboots the computer in its own window. Bios and all, and boots to the wanted o/s. So, if you remember the days of trying to get games like the older ultima series running and having problems due to himem.sys problems and UMB, etc and remember how to fix this, then this would be good for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom