Run OS on external HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizdumb

Baseband Member
Can I set up an external HDD to run an OS(Vista 64bit)? Ive been using Vista 32bit, I just got Win7 64bit but NetGear hasnt released any network adapter drivers. I can get OS's for free from school so I figured I have an extra external and I'd like to put Vista 64 bit on it. Would that be possible/and or worth it? I would be booting Vista 64bit off a USB as well.

-external is a Seagate FreeAgent"Desk USB 2.0
-motherboard supports Sata2 & USB 2.0 (Biostar-TP45HP)

Thanks,

Yes, as long as you set your bios to boot from the USB HD you should be able to do that. I have never run windows off an external hard drive, but I assume there will be a bit of a noticeable delay.

I have found that windows does not like being installed on External Hard Drives.

I agree with Keyboard Cowboy, and if you think about it, the transfer rate wouldn't be as fast when the CPU and OS are not in closer proximity. The CPU would always be toe-tapping, like, "hey Windows, are you there ?" :p

Sorry but no. Vista has the option removed to install it to a External device just as Win7 does. You can force it but all you are doing is creating problems for yourself.

Straight answer is this. If you do you will have to constantly mess with the boot loaders. Since every time you reset the boot loader will not fine the external device to be the EXACT SAME drive/partition and so on as it was previously. So you will get a boot error. You will then have to go in, manually adjust it for that boot, and then boot to the external.

Even if you leave the external device plugged in all the time, there will be issues. They only multiply when you remove the drive, power down the device and so on. It would be FAR easier to just partition your internal drive and dual boot properly.

Apparently windows does not like to be installed to an external drive. I was basing my opinion on my experience with linux...which can be installed on an external drive/usb thumb drive.

No, I did it a few times with xp. there's even a micro xp client specifically for that purpose.

However, Mak summed it up nicely. Vista and windows 7 do not support booting off a removable device.

Apparently windows does not like to be installed to an external drive. I was basing my opinion on my experience with linux...which can be installed on an external drive/usb thumb drive.
Yes Linux can do this easily. Windows is a bit more difficult. XP had this option but even then it was quirky. It only gets more complicated with Vista/Win7 due to it not being available by default so you have to modify it to allow this. Add into that the BCD doesnt like External Drive assigning only adds to the complication.

I just wanted to clear up the information provided. After working extensively with Vista and Win7 since they were both Betas i have tried an failed at this many times.:annoyed:

I put gOS on my old USB stick (2gb). It's realy nice OS i like it. If you just need it for the wireless network gOS is for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom