help me upgrade my computer =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel A

Solid State Member
Hey guys.. new here... but I figured before buying anything new for my computer i'd try to find some people who actually knew what they were talking about and could help me out..

So i have an older computer, and am looking for better overall performance.. but mainly performance in online games and whatnot. I don't really know where to start though, I know pretty little about computers, but from what I do understand I need to get a better video card, as well as more RAM.

The issue of course though, is being on a computer that is a bit older, I don't believe my motherboard has slots for the newer more efficient memory cards? So i'm thinking i need to update my motherboard too, but does that mean new processor, hard drive, power supply, etc?

I'd like to do this relatively cheap as i'm not exactly a hardcore online gamer.. i'm pretty casual about it, but i would like to increase my computers overall performance.

Here are some specs that i do know about my computer.. let me know if you need more, and if you do where i can find the information.

Windows XP
Intel Celeron 2.66 Ghz
512 MB RAM (i think it's just regular DDR)
Nvidia GeForce 5200 vid card
120 GB hard drive, I think i have about 40 gigs used, but i can clean that up i think?

Relatively old motherboard i would assume as computer is probably 5 years old or so.. i know it doesn't have PCI-E ports, and i think it only has 1 AGP? Maybe i'm wrong though?

Any help is appreciated..

is this a pre-built computer? model number?

how much do you want to spend on upgrading?

The computer was built by a local computer shop up the road from me a few years ago, so it's not a model like a "Dell" or "HP" etc.

Not really sure on spending.. I was originally hoping under 200-250 dollars, but not sure if that's possible now..

ok, with your budget, you could get a couple upgrades.

new mobo + quad core cpu. if you could, just check your case to see if it supports matx mobos. it should..
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

with either 2gigs of ram
Newegg.com - WINTEC AMPX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 3AXT6400C5-2048K - Desktop Memory

or 4gigs of ram
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2G8004GK - Desktop Memory

and also, if you could post some info on your psu, to see if it will support any decent gfx cards.

ok, with your budget, you could get a couple upgrades.

new mobo + quad core cpu. if you could, just check your case to see if it supports matx mobos. it should..
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

with either 2gigs of ram
Newegg.com - WINTEC AMPX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 3AXT6400C5-2048K - Desktop Memory

or 4gigs of ram
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2G8004GK - Desktop Memory

and also, if you could post some info on your psu, to see if it will support any decent gfx cards.

ok, how do i check that on my case? As far as my power supply.. it's pretty old i think actually. The original crapped out on me, and my uncle who is a tech guy had some extras laying around, so he just grabbed me this one... what are you looking for on it, the wattage? Any way i can figure that out apart from opening it up?

Also just a note- I'm not opposed to rebuilding.. i figure if i rebuilt it with a new motherboard, CPU, PSU, and Graphics card, it wouldn't be all that expensive? I'm not sure though, that's assuming that the other stuff i have like hard drive, optical drive, floppy drive, case, fans etc. are all interchangeable.. which now a days, they probably aren't ... lol

it most likely will support it, i just mentioned this because there are some cases that will support larger atx mobos only. you could post the model of your case if you know it, or check the screw holes. an matx mobo would measure 9.6'' x 9.6''.

you would still be able to reuse your optical drive and hard drive (because theyre most likely either ide or sata drives, both of which will work), and most likely your case. your floppy drive maybe, maybe not, because some manufacturers have dropped it altogether. so youd be replacing the cpu, mobo, ram, gfx card, and psu.

these are some other suggestions, but they also go a little above your budget >.<, totaling $274.

it most likely will support it, i just mentioned this because there are some cases that will support larger atx mobos only. you could post the model of your case if you know it, or check the screw holes. an matx mobo would measure 9.6'' x 9.6''.

you would still be able to reuse your optical drive and hard drive (because theyre most likely either ide or sata drives, both of which will work), and most likely your case. your floppy drive maybe, maybe not, because some manufacturers have dropped it altogether. so youd be replacing the cpu, mobo, ram, gfx card, and psu.

these are some other suggestions, but they also go a little above your budget >.<, totaling $274.

Yeah, i tried to respond to the other guy's suggestions, but i guess they didn't show up in the thread?

What i tried to say was that my budget isn't really that tight, that's just how much i wanted to spend on the new motherboard/vid card, but if i need a new PCU, PSU, etc. then i'm willing to spend more than 250 dollars...

oh ok, i see. well its completely up to you how much you want to spend. obviously with more money, youll be able to get better parts, so whatever your budget is, well see what parts will fit.

well as far as a budget goes.. for a new Mobo, RAM, CPU, Vid card, PSU, and possibly hard drive i'd be willing to spend ohh say around 500 dollars. Little bit of room to wiggle with that budget though.

When you're able to spend more, where is the smartest place to actually spend more? Is it in the vid card, or the CPU? Someplace else?

I know it doesn't save me much money.. but i have a case i think i can use, along with a hard drive, multiple optical drives, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, all that kinda stuff.

One thing i wasn't even thinking about though was software =/.. windows 7 is about a hundred bucks right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom