Is this a hardware problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torndrk

Solid State Member
Whenever I try to restart the computer it freezes on me. The screen goes to power save mode and the computer just stays on. The longest I ever left it like that was for 8 hours.
Now all I used to do was to shut it down by holding the power button and manually rebooting it. Its been working for the past week but now it wont turn on at all. The screen stays in power save mode and the computer looks like its about to turn on but it just stays like that

But hey I found another crazy solution! I just unplug the computer and reconnect it. The computer makes a loud fan noise and it goes back to normalnd then the computer starts up normally.

Now Its taking longer to turn on the computer by unplugging. The fan noise remains making a loud noise. I have to plug and unplug about 5 times before the computer begins to start up.

So whats the problem. A dust filled fan? It haas to be something with the fans right? How can I check the temperature? What is the appropriate temp? Any tips on how to clean the inside?

Use a can of compressed air to clean the dust out of the case. How old is the pc and what kind is it? Could be a number of things at this point. When you get Windows (I assume) up, then click Start>Run>then type in chkdsk and hit enter. How many watts is your power supply and what kind is it?

Also, once you unplug it, hold in the power button for a few seconds before plugging it back in. this will discharge the system. I have had this solve similar problems before.

@ septic
I have an HP Pavilion m7750n. when I run chkdisk it just skips

@trotter
Nope haven't tried it yet.

I opened my computer and cleaned it with some compressed air. I found out that the fan on the processor was loose. Turns out teh pice that locks on to the fan was broken(the piece fell to the floor). I glued the piece with some crazy glue but its still wobbly. Right now my pc is lying horizontal(not sure if this is safe) because im afraid the glue wont last and the fan will fall.
So what should I do?
Are these the final days of my PC?!?!?!?

You need to replace the heat sink and mount for it. If not you could most definitely be looking at the last days of the PC as you will burn out the CPU.

I would highly suggest you get a replacement and dont use your PC until you can replace those parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom