Can I swap Laptop Graphic Cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

High-Tech

Beta member
Hi everyone I need some help. My new laptop's graphic card sucks and just wanted to know if I can swap it with my old laptop's graphic card which is much better. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!:grin: Ohh by the way will I void my warranty if I do do this if I can?

Old Laptop:

HP Pavilion tx1308nr Notebook PC

Specs:
Microprocessor: 1.9 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-58
Microprocessor Cache: 512 KB + 512 KB L2 cache
Memory: 1024 MB DDR2 (2 Dimm)
Memory Max: Up to 4096 MB
Video Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 (UMA)
Video Memory: Up to 287 MB
Hard Drive: 160 GB (5400 RPM) (SATA)

New Laptop:

HP Pavilion dv6-1375dx Entertainment Notebook PC

Specs:

Microprocessor: 2.13 GHz Intel Core2 Duo Processor P7450
Microprocessor Cache: 3MB L2 Cache
Memory: 6144 MB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Memory Max: 8192MB
Video Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
Video Memory: Up to 1695MB
Hard Drive: 500GB (7200RPM)

About 90% of the laptop on the market, the video card is onboard. And even when you can upgrade the video card on a laptop, there is the issue of power supply and heat that you need to worry about.

Thanks for the help!!!!!

About 90% of the laptop on the market, the video card is onboard. And even when you can upgrade the video card on a laptop, there is the issue of power supply and heat that you need to worry about.

So even if I do buy another graphic card that will work with my laptop I would still have to worry about power supply and heat?

Yup, because the laptop is designed to cool off the stock parts, not parts that may cause more heat. You run into the same issue sometimes when updgrading laptop processors too because the extra heat and energy needed for the faster processor.

And as others have said most laptops are integrated, so if you wanted to replace the GPU you would have to replace the entire motherboard because it is integrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom