Help Choosing a Motherboard/Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyGray

Baseband Member
I know you guys probably get this all the time but I would like some expert opinions on which motherboard/processor to buy for upgrading my PC.

Current:
MB - Intel d915pbl
Processor - 3.4ghz HT Intel P4
Ram - 4-1024mb 533mhz sticks of DDR2 64bit
GFX - ATI Radeon HD4670
HD - IDE 120gb
Audio - OnBoard

I would like to upgrade to something a little better for running games like WoW. It always seems that my CPU is maxed out when running the game which I would assume is causing the lag. I want to keep the price reasonable and would like to re-use anything I have that would be compatible although its like all out of date besides the gfx card. I want to keep it under 150 dollars if possible considering I will have to put money into some new parts as well. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ok, I just bought the combo pack from Newegg that Trotter recommended with the...
ECS IC780M-A AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX
AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core

I know this is probably a dumb question but the last mobo/processor package I bought wasn't great so it came with a generic heat sink which has always worked fine for me. So my question is will this come with one or should I buy one, and if i buy one I have to match it to the socket correct?

All retail CPUs will have a stock heatsinkfan. I believe the ones that come with the cpus nowadays are the heatsinks with the heatpipes, so it should be pretty good, although i'm not 100% sure. If you want a really nice one, then you can go buy a separate one and yes it needs to match the mobo (most will do).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom