akasixcon

This is sparta!
I'm in the midst of creating a home theatre PC
Its purpose is to output videos to my HDTV
Others include extracting / compressing rar files
It will be downloading files from iTunes, Netflix and such

Basically, I will be doing a lot of multitasking both in internet and PC

How much RAM should I be aiming for?

For a lot of multitasking, you're going to want more power, so you would go with the i7. That uses triple channel RAM, so you'd go with 6 GB. I would get a Phenom II x4 940 over a core2quad. It is a better bang for your buck.

Still, I think for an HTPC, you don't need that much power. If you aren't doing any more multitasking than what you listed, I would go with either:

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

or to save money:

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Processors - Desktops

No one buys core 2 quads anymore. An i7 setup is going to cost you a lot more than any HTPC should, so I really advise against going that route.

Edit: Btw, anyone know when they renamed the 920 to Bloomfield from Nilhelm? Is it because of the D0 stepping revision or something

Dang that's a lot of power for an HTPC. I have two HTPCs in my place, the primary powers my 1080p 42" in the tv room and it's an X2 3600+, 2GB RAM and 8600gts and I've never had a problem running HD through there or with multitasking.

My second is an X2 4200+ with onboard video and yeah, at times it chugs a bit with multitasking but as for video playback, no problems at all on 720p 37" LCD.

If all you're planning is multitasking then yeah, as mentioned above...any gaming? I know my primary htpc is a backup game comp for my annual LAN party but that's only 3 days a year. Will need a gpu upgrade this year.

I just picked up an AMD 2300BE for my next htpc off the classifieds for $25. Looking to build the HTPC for under $150 (HD not included).

my htpc is a a64 4000+ with a 7800gtx, 2gb of ram and it does just fine outputting to a 40" 1080p.

Sure I do all of my heavy work on my i7 but for playback, websurfing and casual gaming it works just fine.

i7 is too much power for an htpc in my book.

If all you're planning is multitasking then yeah, as mentioned above...any gaming? I know my primary htpc is a backup game comp for my annual LAN party but that's only 3 days a year.

I'm planning to have my laptop control my HTPC
I don't even plan on having my HTPC to have a monitor
I'm just going to set it up to be up and running
Hide it behind the desk and remote into it when I want to watch movies

my htcp is a crappy athalon XP with 512mb of ram, running on win 7 o_0

The main issue I need a powerful processor is processing compressed file.
A 16gb file takes about 20 minutes to uncompress with a Pentium 4
In my Core 2 Duo laptop, it slashes it down to less than half of that
I could only imagine what a Core 2 Quad (or athlon phenom)
I mainly want this computer to function as an HTPC and a server
Load some backups to it, compressing, uncompressing files

Any suggestions?

Why don't you just compress files on your regular pc? If you have to have it though, I say go with the AMD Phenom II x4 940. i7 is just too costly for an HTPC. If it wasn't for you wanting to do this, I would say go for the 720. That's what I put in the HTPC I built for my family for our 52". That computer is a backup gaming pc too, so I have a core 216 in it as well :p.

i think you should go with the core i7... it will be better in the long run

That is what I would say if this was a normal use pc, but it is an HTPC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom