Worklog: Orange55

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah... get some files... Then you just cut the grooves off with that.

I have a number of sets of files that I tried quickly but the sandpaper does a better job of eventually getting everything to the same leve. Can't really cut out the grooves as the whole point of the setup is to make a flat and even surface.

Allright, found a way to speed this up…it's called fire! Muahaha! I love my blow torch! Unfortunately no pictures, the camera had a hard time focusing on the torch so just imagine the nice acrylic foot pad in the lath spinning while I toast it with the torch…once it heats up nicely the material actually sands very well and comes off in larger chunks…so just going from a 60-220-600 grit sandpaper. End result:
Picture438.jpg

Now with a larger bit I make a recess for the bolt head:
Picture467-1.jpg

So that it's hidden when in place and can be covered up by a rubber pad or something down the road.
Picture463.jpg

Some nice bolt caps that will be painted black to complete it, feet will be orange to match the racing stripe.
Picture461.jpg

With them all on I'm not 100% sold on them. They are high, I might drop them into the bandsaw and cut them in half. Either way they are much better than those ugly stock rubber feet. Now on to the LEDS and fans!

Yeah I'd say they look a little high too, don't cut them in half though. Mebbe just a quarter off would be fine, a third at the most imo.

Yeah I'd say they look a little high too, don't cut them in half though. Mebbe just a quarter off would be fine, a third at the most imo.

Yeah, for sure...easier to keep cutting them down than to try stacking them back up! LOL

I thought of heat, but wasn't to sure how soft the stuff would get... Heats great for taking small scratches out, but i've only dealt with thin sheets.

Yeah, I've used the torch to glaze edges and stuff as a finishing stage but I've never really used it to SPEED UP sanding, this piece of acrylic is a stringy type of acrylic, not the normal stuff I work with. Not sure really where or why I bought it originally, probably part of a free cut off scrap heap I picked up. The torch with each sanding stage really sped the work up and took out those deep teeth grooves in a more acceptable amount of time.

Small updates…cheap as I am on this build I picked a couple of 120s I had lying around and added some orange LEDs:

Picture479.jpg

Picture474.jpg

And

Picture475.jpg

The fans will get painted orange eventually. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'm going to get to painting until the spring. It's too cold to paint, temps have dropped now and I've had to scrape the ice off the car a couple of times now.

Lol, yeah, cheap is definitly one of the mod themes :p

As it usually is for all pro bono work!

Am pretty bummed that I won't get to paint this and therefore have it done before x-mas...but I don't want to risk screwing up the paint job. The freakn basement renos have just taken so much longer than anticipated. Maybe I'll post a pic or two of those once it's done...just have to build the stairs and frame in the support jack and we're done.

Ok, back again...pretty much hitting a wall here until I have A) a paint booth and nice weather and B) hardware from her current rig. Etched up the window yesterday, used the dremel etcher rather than rotary tool. Came out ok, the window is still dusty, didn't bother whipping it down.
Picture3873.jpg

Afterwards....considering the long termness of this project I taped up the window so that it wouldn't get scratched up during the winter.

Picture3877.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom