new intel ethernet driver causing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

necrophyte

Baseband Member
im using win xp pro sp3 32bit & win 7 ultimate 32bit on my hp 8510p notebook with an intel 82566MM ethernet adapter and until some days ago everything worked fine. i prefer using the original intel drivers instead of those offered by hp for my notebook, as these often are a bit outdated.

on win 7 i have the version 9.13.16.0 (14.5) from september 1. installed, which works fine, but when trying to install the most recent one (14.7 from october 23.) it says "this package is not supported on this platform or operating system". well, thats not that bad as the 14.5 version works fine.

but, i tried updating with the same version (14.7, for xp, of course) on my win xp and there it said "This version of Intel PROset is not supported to upgrade...". so i tried to uninstall the installed version (i think it was 14.5 as well) but it failed. there was an entry called intel network connections 14.3.0.0 inside my add/remove programs in control panel, which also showed me the same error message when trying to uninstall it!

so i basicly wasnt able to either update it with a newer version, nor uninstall it, since everything ended with the error message "This version of Intel PROset is not supported to upgrade..".

i looked through several posts describing the same or similar problems and tried all the tips, but none of them worked. i also tried one of these uninstall-apps (perfect uninstall or total uninstall i think), which also first ran the uninstaller (which ended with the same error) and then removed some registry entried and files, but it still wasnt uninstalled completely.

running msiexec.exe /x .... resulted in the same error. uninstalling the device from the device manager just results in a new automatic install, version 9.12.36.0 from december 2008.

then i deleted all the files and registry keys and entries that referred to that intel software and now there is no entry inside add/remove programs anymore, but again, if i try to install ANY intel ethernet driver, the same error message appears again. unfortunately, the 14.3 version isnt available for download on intel's site anymore, so there is no way to get rid of that corrupt installation!

i tried uninstalling it pointing to the extracted files from the 14.0, 14.5 and 14.7 package, and none worked. i needed the 14.3 to uninstall it, but now even that wouldnt help anymore, since i removed most of its traces manually.

can someone help me how to get rid of that software traces?
btw. installing the driver hp offers me works, but it seems to be a completely different software, so i cannot use it to get rid of the corrupt intel installation.

thanks

no, since i didnt really expect that to become so bad. now i think system restore wont go anymore since there were too many installations (failed of course, but still) done afterwards.

i tried 5 different restore points (i removed ccc 9.9 and installed ccc 9.10 at that time) up to the point where i started removing the traces manually and none of them worked.

would it make a difference to try the system restore with the system restore option inside the safe mode boot menu?

if not - how can i get rid of it? i cannot find anything inside the registry and files should be gone, too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom