what do I do after my computer is built?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nburger

Solid State Member
Ok, so I have picked out all of my parts for my build. I would like to order in the next month so I have a lot of learning to do. I have been reading on this forum and different web pages about what you do after you have the computer put together. The actual act of building it wont be a problem for me, but when BIOS and CMOS come up, I get lost. I am hoping that some of you can direct me to a couple of good books or websites that will help with this. I am assuming that it is not as simple as putting the win7 OS disk in and poof, I'm up and running.

Also, what version of Win7 would you all recomend.

It is that simple :p

All you do is plop the DVD into your drive and restart your pc. If it doesn't automatically boot from the CD drive then you have to go into the BIOS. Which is done by continuously tapping delete during startup. Once there you just have to find "Boot Device Priority" or a menu similar to that. From there change the #1 option to CD/DVD/whatever kind of drive you're booting from. Once thats done, restart again and win7 should start installing. :p

As for version I'm not really sure on the differences to be honest.

What about the hard drive and partitions ect.....I have no clue about that stuff. Will it automatically set up a drive c: and everything or is that something I have to do.

It will automatically set the hard drive to drive c: If you want to partition your hard drive into several drives you can do that after everything is set up.

You can create partitions during installation of windows.
I haven't got windows 7 but from my experience you get this option when it asks you where you want to install windows. At that moment you'll get the options to create and delete partitions.

Ok, so if I am understanding this, all I do is build, load, and poof, the computer is up and going :) Thought it would be way harder than that.

pretty much...just make sure you have the proper drivers for everything installed before you start doing to much on it.

it's not a hard process at all lol

The real advantage of Win7 Pro is that you can use XP mode which makes running older programs a lot less troublesome if it has problems with Win7. That's what I'm using anyway, Ultimate is only useful for BitLocker. Home Premium or Professional is what you should get, whatever you feel most comfortable paying for.

Right now the only program I really run is WOW. Should I go pro or home? I'm not worried about spending the extra money. Also if I run pro, my understanding is that I can run XP mode but I will still get the advantages of win7, or with running WOW do I even need to go XP mode. I just loaded win7 home on the computer I have now and I have definatly noticed some lag/disconect issues...any ideas on that also?

99% of the time, just Insert the OS CD at boot up, install, enjoy.

Install any component drivers after the OS and make sure you go online and get all the updates (specifically for GPU's). Really shouldn't have to mess with the BIOS much if at all.

After everything looks good, you can go into the BIOS and make sure your RAM is running at the current timing. Sometimes the BIOS uses an incorrect default timing for the RAM initially and you may have to manually set it to the manufacturers spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom