MacBook or PC Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
$800 - $900 Laptops - CNET Reviews

How to Buy a Laptop - PC World

Dell Studio 1555 (USE006CS) - At A Glance - Reviews by PC Magazine

ASUS UL30A-A1 - At A Glance - Reviews by PC Magazine

or look here also

Asus K61IC-X3 Notebook PC - Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HDD, Blu-Ray/DVDRW, 16" Display, Windows 7 Home Premium, Black at TigerDirect.com

Newegg.com - SONY VAIO NW Series VGN-NW250F/S NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T6600(2.20GHz) 15.5" 4GB Memory DDR2 800 320GB HDD 5400rpm Dual layer DVD Burner ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 - Laptops / Notebooks

I haven't personally tested any of the above myself. We have two older laptops, both are working good.

MWSnap00611-01-09.jpg

Great post! That Dell looks like a good deal with the added GPU, however I've heard Dells are of lower quality, is that true?

Thanks for all the comments folks, much appreciated! I've been looking at the Asus G51 as I've read around the forums a bit and apparently it's the best gaming laptop for the cost, can anyone comment on this, also would I be able to get one for under $1500 in Canada?

I've also read that MSI makes good gaming laptops, can someone suggest some MSI machines for similar price?

Thanks again everyone!

Great post! That Dell looks like a good deal with the added GPU, however I've heard Dells are of lower quality, is that true?

Thanks for all the comments folks, much appreciated! I've been looking at the Asus G51 as I've read around the forums a bit and apparently it's the best gaming laptop for the cost, can anyone comment on this, also would I be able to get one for under $1500 in Canada?

I've also read that MSI makes good gaming laptops, can someone suggest some MSI machines for similar price?

Thanks again everyone!

Dells are solid laptops. Back when I was in public school we used Dell Latitudes in the mobile lab. Had D610s for all 4 years I was there, when i left they were still working fine, if slow. I only had to fix one or two that some kids had really abused. They should hold up fine for every day wear and tear.

Another cool thing I found out about the current ones is that if you spill a drink on them the keyboards absorb almost all of the liquid and protect the rest of the laptop. Instead of ruining the computer it's a $25 KB. I doubt it was intentional, but still cool.

As for the Asus, it has a very slow hard drive (5400rpm). In a world where i consider all hard drives slow that's pretty bad. Asus laptops tend to have more features in their price range it being an Asus after all, but aside from the card reader and the camera this one is pretty ordinary. It has a real video card, but if you think that makes it a gamer you are very mistaken. For a budget laptop I would look more for usability, reliability and battery life. The Dell wins there, big (for a laptop) hard drive, 9 cell battery and a screen size that wasn't invented to save money.

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone! I decided to go with an Asus. I picked up the K70IO. I got it for under $1000 CDN, which I think is a great deal. Well I've been using it for about an hour and so far so good, it seems like a very solid laptop with a nice big 17' display. I'm very happy I went with PC instead of Mac, as a matter of fact after doing my research this last week I've became rather anti-Mac but that's neither here nor there. Just wanted to thank everyone here for helping me out, I appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom