Best External Hard Drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelred

In Runtime
I desperately need another External HD. What brands do you use and trust? I've seen some many conflicting reviews online for different brands, its hard to tell what's reliable and at a good price.

Thinking of getting this: WESTERN DIGITAL 1.5TB Elements External Hard Drive USB 2.0 Black : External Hard Drives, Data Storage & Backup | Dell

But then saw some bad reviews.

Maybe this: Fantom GDP1000EU GreenDrive External Drive - 1TB, 7200RPM, 16MB, eSATA, USB 2.0 at TigerDirect.com

Or this: Iomega 34579 Select Desktop Hard Drive - 3.5", 1TB, USB 2.0 at TigerDirect.com

Thoughts?

I actually like the Buffalo Series.

Buffalo Technology - Products - Overview

I have had one of these since around 2002 and it is still going strong. Even with several drops, 4 moves and abuse of a child. It still has my data on it and is going strong. I have one of the first Drive Station series that came out. This thing is a work horse.

I have one IOMEGA, working for three years now and still good, and two WD, one has two years and the other one year, both kicking.
Never tried the Buffalo ones.

I recommend a dock instead of a stand-alone unit. that way you can pop in a SATA drive and use it, eject it, and pop in another. I have a ThermalTake dock and love it.

I recommend a dock instead of a stand-alone unit. that way you can pop in a SATA drive and use it, eject it, and pop in another. I have a ThermalTake dock and love it.

What's the benefit of that versus the externals?

I had the same issue a month ago on trying to decide for an externalHD for a new notebook, I went with the Hitachi SimpleTough. I have to mention that this HD is by far the most indestructible external hard drive Ive seen, capable of surviving drops of up to 10 feet and up to one ton of pressure. With a built-in USB cable, two-tiered data security package, and an impressive three-year warranty, I have no issue recommending this external hard drive to shoppers looking for space and security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom