Making a list for my first HTPC build

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerX

Baseband Member
I've build computers in the past for general home office use and gaming but never anything particualrly specialized like an Home Theatre PC. Its also been awhile (looking at the spec in my signature, but hey it still runs great and does what I need it to.. LOL)

Let me know what you think of the following and give me ideas where I can improve or cut costs. I'm looking to hook this up to a 50" Panny Plasma with HDMI and use 5.1 home theatre system. I want to play blu-ray discs, watch internet content on it (Hulu, Netflix, ect) and watch and record OTA HD programming since I decided to cut out my $70 a month satellite bill.

So here's my list.

Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H $79.99
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

AMD CPU AMD Phenom II X2 545 Callisto 3.0GHz $89.99
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X2 545 Callisto 3.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Case Antec Fusion $139.00
Newegg.com - Antec Black Aluminum / Steel Fusion Remote Black Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - HTPC / Media Center Cases

PSU Antec Earthwatts 380w $44.99
Newegg.com - Antec earthwatts EA380 380W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Tv Tuner Hauppage 1600 $84.99
Newegg.com - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 ATSC/ClearQAM/NTSC TV Tuner PCI w/Remote 1199 PCI Interface - TV Tuners & Video Devices

Hard Drive WD Dardive Caviar Green 1TB $84.99
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Memory Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
$59.99
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AL80A - Desktop Memory

Blu-Ray drive LG Blu-Ray/HDDVD player $99
PC Parts Unlimited

Operating System Windows 7 OEM $107.00
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

The total comes out to about $790.00, not sure how I feel about that.

Anyone have any suggestions? Am I heading in the right direction with this build?

Good ideas on the CPU and the memory. That will save me a little bit. I honestly wasn't sure about the memory thats why I chose Crucial. As for the case I'm looking for one thats going to blend in with my other home theatre components.

One other thing, I was planning to forgo the video card and use the onboard graphics card, will I be able to do that and stream HD?

With that motherboard, you should be able to do what you want to do without a video card. As for the case, i'm guessing its gonna sit somewhere close to or under your TV so you'll probably want to stick with your original case.

I agree it it looks like theres performance gains to be had with DD3 but is it worth the expense?

Also I wanted to go with a Windows 7 for this build, or should I just stick to the tried and true XP I have?

theres minimal performance gains using ddr3 with a lower end rig.

but the prices of ddr2 and ddr3 have recently become very close that it probably wont cost you that much more to go with ddr3 now, so its up to you.

and yes, if you are willing to spring the money for win7, get it, youll never look back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom