Need opinions URGENT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlord20

Fully Optimized
I have to order ram for a laptop tonight and I was wondering if this was a decent stick

Newegg.com - OCZ Value Series 1GB 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Laptop Memory Model OCZ4001024VSO - Laptop Memory

Its going into a 5+ year old Dell Inspirion 1000 with a 60gb (or less hdd). It's my dads work laptop and it only has a 256mb stick in it that I can't remove. I just don't see spending more then this amount for this laptop. If it is completely crap ram I will get better but I thought old laptop doesn't need top of the line ddr.

would a 1gb stick show that much improvement over a 512mb stick?

^ ya, that's pretty decent. but make sure the mobo will take a 1GB stick, especially if it is 5 years old.

and you will notice a improvement over 512mb of ram. especially if you are on vista/win 67

You'd better check that the laptop supports 1Gb sticks first (especially seeing as it's an older model)

Other than that, yep taht stick is suitable. How fast does the 256Mb stick run? There's no point buying a new stick thats faster as it'll just underclock itself to match the frequency of the other stick.

edit: garh! phil beat me to the first part :)

I don't know really know specifics... Except it has a stick of 256 that I can't remove and an empty slot. I believe it will support up to 2gb ram.

it has xp home.

So go ahead a get it?

what's the model num? i would make sure it supports a 1GB stick before i orderd it. cause newegg does not let you return RAM for a refund. only for a defective part.

You'd better check that the laptop supports 1Gb sticks first (especially seeing as it's an older model)

Other than that, yep taht stick is suitable. How fast does the 256Mb stick run? There's no point buying a new stick thats faster as it'll just underclock itself to match the frequency of the other stick.

edit: garh! phil beat me to the first part :)

muahahaha, ninja phil strikes again :D

^ ok, so that uses one of the older mobile intel 8xx series chipsets, and only supports a max of 512mb per stick, so throw in two 512mb sticks and you should be good to go :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom