Laptop takes a few tries to turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehgit

In Runtime
I've been working on this laptop, an old Dell Inspiron, that was brought to me because it won't turn on the first few times you press the power button. It will eventually come on (usually only when I press and hold the power button and let it cycle till it comes on) and once it's warmed up I can turn it off and when I power on again it comes right on. I have done a few things to narrow the possible issues. To eliminate a software issuse, I repair installed XP, ran MalwareBytes, AVG, ccleaner and cleanup; it still has the same issue. This seems to confirm my initial thought that it might be the mobo or the internal power supply. Any one else expierience this problem and if so were you able to confirm what was causing it? Any help is appreciated!

If this happens at boot it is highly unlikely that it is an OS or virus issue. Windows doesn't even get the chance to boot. I would try updating the BIOS. If that doesn't fix the issue ensure that the button is properly working. At that point it would be a MB issue which will probably cost more than the laptop is worth.

That's what I was thinking, I just like to get more opinions before I come to a conclusion. I know the button is working, and I was almost positive that it was a MB issue. I will try updating the BIOS before calling it quits and telling them to start shopping. Thanks for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom