encrypting p2p...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevstah

Beta member
hey guys

does this really baffle the isp who likes to restrict torrents??

my isp throttles p2p usage and i have told torrentflux to encrypt connections, however downloads are still slow and i can still see 'p2p usage' on my isp stats page

am i doing something wrong? or does encryption not hide whether its p2p or ftp etc?

of course i only download legal torrents, the latest ubuntu release etc etc

thanks

nev

Well, the other users must be using encryption too. You should be able to force to only establish encrypted connections, but this will cause the download speeds to be lower since you'll be downloading only from users who support encrypted connections.
Your isp shouldn't be able to distinguish as a p2p connection.

Traffic is traffic. Even if that traffic is encrypted you ISP will see the amount of data coming into your IP and may throttle anyway.

Contrary to popular belief, it is possible for an ISP to actually look at the content coming through (Iran does this as a matter of policy). That doesn't make it right, and it is legal in most countries.

But if it's encrypted they can't know if it's p2p traffic or another kind of traffic, I think. They may limit your download speed because of the traffic volume nevertheless, which may be the case here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom