Status
Not open for further replies.
Routing of other cables (3.5 bay has the extra cables stuffed into it):
1000675.jpg

The 80mmx80mmx15mm fan between the motherboard tray and the right side panel:
1000669.jpg

Up and running:
1000676.jpg

Just noticed I didn't take a shot of the whole case when it was finished, I'll take one the next time I have it open.

I know the 850w is overkill for what I have installed now, but I didn't feel comfortable with the added parts on my old PSU. This way I won't have to buy another PSU for my next upgrade.

Temps are very good, CPU on idle is about 19*C (that's with CPU clock knocked down to 1092mhz from not being used) compared to about 32*C from the old setup. Ran Prime95 for 44mins, temp never went above 30*C (that's at normal operating frequency then). GPU idle is at 37*C compared to about 50*C on stock cooling. Ran FurMark for about 15 minutes and the highest temp was 50*C.

Overall I'm very pleased with the way this turned out, I'll wait a week or two before I begin oc'ing the processor (want to get the GPU to at least the superclocked version's settings).

Thanks to everyone who helped me choose parts or share opinions, I really appreciate it (should be repped already :D).

Glad you got your GPU temps down! Have you attempted at any more overclocks since you've been up and running? I'll be shopping for a new graphics card, as mine started idling at 57*C all of the sudden. :madd: I'm going to sell it and pick up a 5770 (hopefully). Also like the case! That's the case coming with my next purchase.

Thanks guys. Haven't oc'ed the card yet, in a few minutes I'll try out the superclocked 9800GT settings and will edit back with the results after a furmark run (650mhz core clock, 1900mhz memory clock, 1620mhz shaderclock).

I also found a different way I can route that fan cable that's outside the case right now :).

Edit: I deserve the dumb*** award of the year for that one. I can't believe I was so stupid to do that (got crazy artifacts then the screen went yellow, good thing they were reset when I reboot). Those numbers seem ridiculously high. I'll go and try to do it the normal, safe, sane way and go up by 5-10Mhz at a time...

Edit2: Ok, I think I'm towards the limit, I want to do a little more testing before I call this final, but it should be close. http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/7k7z3/

Edit3: Scaled back some because I was getting artifacts in games: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/kkrsh/ If I don't see anything else, this will be "final".

Re-routed that fan cable so it's not outside the case, I also used the fan controller that came with the core contact for the fan on the side panel, it made a whining sound before (the cpu heatsink fan is on the front fan controller, that's why I wasn't useing the one that came with it).
1000679k.jpg

1000677b.jpg

if you are limited on space inside your case I would recomend installing extra fans as they are inexpensive and as most mobo's have aux and chasis fan output. ie i am running a celeron 2002 northwood 2.4ghz cpu overclocked to 3.125GHz( impossible apperrently) with the stock heat sync, how ever i have had to install 3 extra fans (one is externally powered) to keep cpu temp under 125f \ 50c I would have upgraded heat syncs but i do not have enough space. with the extra fans my system operations are stable even over clocked so high. I estimate that my system is moving over 100 cubic feet\min through the case

I have pretty much room, have pretty many case fans too.
1 intake on the bottom
1 intake by the 3.5" HD cage
1 intake in the 5.25" bay
1 intake on top closest to front of case
1 exhaust on top towards the back of case
1 exhaust on back of case
1 intake on left side panel.
1 fan blowing at the back of the mobo on right side panel.

On a side note, my 9800GT is dieing the same way my 8800GT did. Get artifacts and system lock up when playing games randomly, it's happening a lot more frequent now. If it dies I'll probably try to get a 5870 hopefully.

as well as what i stated before the physical placement of your fans and direction of air flow could, contibute make sure your fans are not woking against each other. on my set up the case is closed, there is an externally powered chasis fan on the back plus the casis fan, aux fan, cpu fan, and power supply fan. the rear extrnl fan blows in, the front chasis fan blows in, the aux fan blows in, the power supply fan blows in, all air escapes though the slot openings for network cards (easy vent option), and a small access panel ,as it is easier to blow air than to suck it, if optimizing the fans in such a way does not work, and you still do not want to change cases try this (noisy) open both side of your case and put a large house fan blowing on your mobo

sounds like your only other option is to upgrde your case to a liquid cooled as you are running lots of fans allready. and your display issue could be caused by errors in your driver program ot system registry. try purchasing driver detective and a registery cleaning program ( if you havent allready)

question what kind of allternatives to thermal grease have you heard of?
I may have a new one to try. GB OX-GARD very similar to cpu goop. sound way better than, peanutbutter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom