Issues while gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

x0rc1st99

Beta member
Hello, this will be my first post here on these forums so let me start by saying this website seems to have a ton of information available so please direct me to another post if I've missed a topic regarding this elsewhere.

This past year I used a portion of my tax return to purchase the 7-year old piece o' junk I had struggled with for ages. Here's what I ended up with:

Intel Core 2 Q6600 processor : 2.4 Ghz
4 Gb RAM
NVidia 9500 GT

This was a pre-made system so no assembly was done by myself personally and all settings were stock on my machine until after my issue was discovered. Therefore, nothing was altered post-purchase which would have caused what ended up occuring.

Now on to the problem...

I play alot of games on my machine. That being said, that is where I am having difficulties. Back in late May of this year I started noticing that occasionally I would be playing and it almost seemed as if the game were briefly paused but only for a half second or so. The game in question was World of Warcraft so I immediately went through their troubleshooting process, including turning in-game settings up/down/off and thereafter changing settings on User Account Control, Drive Indexing and other OS-based processes to diagnose my problem. None of those worked and in the end I just quit the game altogether. Only then to realize that while playing Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and even now Borderlands that the issue persists in these games as well.

The pause is, like I mentioned above, very brief and is not associated with sound distortion or any on-screen artifacts or tearing. It's almost as if the game "hiccups" for a brief moment and then goes back to normal. At first, the anomaly was happening in WoW approximately every 4-5 minutes. Playing Borderlands the past couple days the frequency has drastically increased to occur almost every 5-10 seconds but the duration of the pause is still exactly the same. I have read multiple other forums for someone reporting a problem similar to this but as of yet have found nothing quite like this.

Right now I have both EVGA Precision running on my computer as well as NVidia Performance Monitor to keep tabs on the temps on my graphics card. Idle, I'm running @ 44 degrees C and under the heaviest stress loads it jumps up to ~60 degrees C which as far as I can tell isn't anything out of the ordinary. I have also checked my CPU temps in BIOS after playing and that temp is a relatively stable 34 degrees C. I have checked all my cables, done a thorough air-can cleaning and have even looked to make sure my PSU is still functioning properly. I really am out of ideas and hope someone can shed some light on this monstrous problem and equally monstrous post...

P.S. I should also add that it is NOT a general framerate issue as I have watched my frame per second function in most of these games and they run perfectly smoothly until the pause occurs.

Have you got the latest drivers for your GPU? Could be something up with your current version.

Well...I had the latest set of NVidia drivers 191.07 before reading somewhere about them causing some system instabilities. Not sure if it's necessarily the case but I figured why compound the issue if possible. I make sure to run Drive Sweeper after each install but unfortunately the issue was unchanged. That also goes for my MoBo as well and all drivers for it's stock components, i.e. chipset, LAN, Realtek from Gigabyte's website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom