Why Do You Need More Than 6GB of Memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i personally think that 4gb for a home pc is slight over what is needed, as in games, internet, video and so on but i can see 6gb - 12gb - 24gb creeping into workstations for the program's that will use it

5-6 years ago i had a pc put together that had 512mb of ram and a ATI Radon 9600 in there as well but the time came that games needed more (oblivion at the time) so 4gb should shoo away some of these ram hogs for a few years to come

eh i dunno about that. I think with DDR3 becoming a norm 6gb is slowly becoming the new norm. I was playing farcry 2 a couple days ago and my computer kept warning me of low memory because it was using 81% of my RAM (that's around 4.8gb) so having 6gb helped I guess :\(could of been a memory leak though :| that game isn't exactly perfect lol )

but i guess to answer the main question..i don't think you need over 6gb unless you're running a lot of stuff that loves RAM but even then for a home PC 12gb should be more than plenty

.....but i guess to answer the main question..i don't think you need over 6gb unless you're running a lot of stuff that loves RAM....

2zyvhi1.png

But yeah right now i would say 4GB is the norm, 6GB+ is for the more higher end users. But its silly to think that wont change.

I'm running 3-4 VM at the same time while encoding and other memory eating application. So 12GB RAM and a i7 processor was a good buy for me.

The only things I can think of using 6+GB RAM for (btw, I have 6 in tri-channel, check the sig) have already been said, namely:

1)Photo/image/Movie Editing/encoding and such production - aka if your going to MAKE things, not play things, even 3D Game animation and CAD programs.

2) using multiple things at once, not 1, 2, or even 5, but more like 30. (15 internet pages, 3 games in window mode, burning a DVD, etc)

3) Just to overkill so you never have to worry about "omg, do I need more RAM?"

Currently I have 6GB, but I wouldn't mind 12 or even more, going to be doing some heavy 3D rendering and all the fast RAM I can get will help speed it up.

As for gaming... heck no. 6GB is wasted on games, even the highest quality games don't even truely use "1GB" of RAM, instead the game requirements take into consideration you need an OS to play - and the OS needs to be running smooth to keep the game from running horribly.

Look at Fo3 - it only uses some 300MB of RAM max - even though the specs say higher - they also list the OS, XP and Vista - Vista of course eating more RAM......

at the point of sounding silly, if your a RAM head - you better have a Motherboard and CPU to support it, as well as a 64bit OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom