!!!!HELP!!!! FreeAgent 1.5 Tb External HD. not recognized (apparently allocated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingnight83

Beta member
About 2 months ago i purchased this HD, it had been working fine. until i was transfering some files from a computer hooked on my network wirelessly to my Ext HD hooked to my laptop..

since then, i haven't been able to access my files (WHICH ARE VERY VERY IMPORTANT TO ME) i have no back up of these files. i want you to understand that this is the first tme i used an Ext HD, therefore i didn't know wheather it was a must or not to partition it.. i thought i could get the most of it by just leaving it as it was... but now.. since i can't get to my files, i am going crazy because i can't afford losingex that info...

Everytime i connect the drive to my Laptop, i keep getting this weird sound on the HD (although i went and checked in different forums and sites and it seems as the HD it's not physically damaged). while this sound is still going my windows vista after a little while pops up a message stating thta it can't find the drivers for this drive.... then i let win vista go ahead and check for the drives which never finds.. after a bit the seagate manager goes green instead of gray but it tells me that this drive isn't recognized and that i need to format.. i've selected the format thing to partition the drive but it says the process failed..

ohh another thing that might be useful..... when i was transfering the files from the other computer to the HD drive hooked on my laptop, the other computer was shut down in the middle of the transfer ... and since then i haven't been able to access again the files on this drive!!

I REALLY REALLY, TRULLY, HOPE anyone from this forum could give me a great tool or ideas as to how to solve this problem.

thanking you all in advance...
:(

this is the program you need Active@ Partition Recovery. Order Page. ...very very good program, worth 100 times what they charge. When you look at the external hard drive in disk manager ( RC my computer, click manage) what does it say about the disk. I think I had something like this and I could not access, it said simple disk or some wording close and I just clicked convert to basic... I think I would try the software first... depending on the size of the hard drive and not on the data...it can take a long time to search your hard drive. so plan on a saturday. what ever you do do not format...the data is still on the drive, just not a file system....formatting will ruin your recovery chances.

this is the program you need Active@ Partition Recovery. Order Page. ...very very good program, worth 100 times what they charge. When you look at the external hard drive in disk manager ( RC my computer, click manage) what does it say about the disk. I think I had something like this and I could not access, it said simple disk or some wording close and I just clicked convert to basic... I think I would try the software first... depending on the size of the hard drive and not on the data...it can take a long time to search your hard drive. so plan on a saturday. what ever you do do not format...the data is still on the drive, just not a file system....formatting will ruin your recovery chances.
LA1 first of all, thank you thank you and a trillion times thank you for replying to this thread, i had ran out of places where to look and i gave this forum a try to see if it would help me out here and apparently it will!! so really THANK YOU.

i did as you said, and what it says is the following:

Disk 1
Unknown
3,86 Gb
Not initialized

right in front i see a long black bar and it says 3,86 Gb Unallocated

i'm also getting this program you recomended me, and see if it works....although i'd like to ask you, how long do you think this might take, considering this is a 1.5 Tb External HD, i suppose it'll take forever to scan it no? would i be able to continue working on my computer or is it best to let it sit there untill it's all scanned!

THANKING YOU AGAIN IN ADVANCE!

I'd like to start off by thanking you a trillion times for your help, i've never used a forum before but due to i'm desperate to fix this problem i came here really as a last resort! and hey i think i took the best decision!

HELLO GUYS, I JUST DID WHAT I WAS TOLD WITH THIS PROGRAM YOU GUYS RECOMMENDED ME AND ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAPPEN, I STILL CAN'T ACCESS MY FILES.. ANY OTHER IDEAS AS TO HOW TO GET MY EXTERNAL DISK TO WORK AS IT USED TO? AND THE MOST IMPORTNAT THING, HOW DO I GO ABOUT ACCESSING MY FILES??

PLEASE DO HELP ME I'M DESESPERATE HERE!!

THANKING YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!

Okay first, stop using ALL CAPS. That is like shouting in real life and it will not be put up with. We can understand that you are trying to get a problem fixed, but the methods you are using is not going to get you any help. There is no reason for all caps and a text size bigger than 2.

Now your drive is in big trouble. Having the PC that you were using shut down when you were transferring the file to the drive is a bad thing. That caused the external drive to get corrupted. If the Seagate tools cant format and repartition the drive, i would say your in a heap of trouble. There isnt going to be much that can be done to save the files.

Your only hope, and i do mean only, is to delete the partition, create a new one and format it and use Recovery Software to try and get your data back.

Thank you very much for your reply Mak123 it wasn't intentional my shouting, i apologize to all of you for that! now regarding my External harddrive.... i've tried formatting it but i haven't been able to, it says "it failed" ...... also i have no idea if i were to format my external HD, would i still be able to recover the info that i had in it before?? if so, what program should i get in order to get them files back and how accurate and useful would this be?? this Ext drive is a 1.5 TB and i had used up about 300 GB...

would please anyone be so kind to give me a hand out here ??

thanking you all in advance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom