MacBook or PC Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, I thought you were referring to like repair costs. But yeah, agreed.

Yes but usually PC laptop issues can be resolved yourself or over the phone while Mac issues may need sending in more often.

And just don't forget that with the PC laptops you are getting 1 or 2 year warranties included and the price for like a 3 year full coverage warranty isn't all that pricey, but with Mac its pretty much an essential to get the 3 year Apple Care plan and will cost you another $300+

Depends on the Mac issue... Many Mac issues are not much different than Window's or Linux issues.. Mac isn't a foreign OS that is unlike anything else in the world...
PC's come with 1 year standard warranties, as is the case with 99% of manufacturers and the extended warranties are generally pretty pricey. It's all relatively based on cost. Yes a $600 PC will have a cheaper extended warranty than a $2500 Mac, but that's to be expected.

Just as a small example, a $650 Toshiba has an extended warranty through newegg for $250 for 3 years. Extended warranties aren't cheap, but they aren't meant to be.

Very true. Just wanted to make sure he was taking that added cost (for both scenarios) into consideration :)

It's probably just my personal experience that lends me to think Mac issues require more outsourcing of the repairs :p

In most cases with most users it's definitely easier and less stressful to send it out to Apple rather than trying to fix it yourself... Taking apart the new MacBook's are a ***** and a half... I've been doing work with laptops for like 5 years and the new MacBook threw me for a loop a couple times... There are some weird *** connections and really tight ribbon cables that you have to pop out right.. Good thing the Mac I was working on was already dead!!!! Diet Coke claims another life...

In most cases with most users it's definitely easier and less stressful to send it out to Apple rather than trying to fix it yourself... Taking apart the new MacBook's are a ***** and a half... I've been doing work with laptops for like 5 years and the new MacBook threw me for a loop a couple times... There are some weird *** connections and really tight ribbon cables that you have to pop out right.. Good thing the Mac I was working on was already dead!!!! Diet Coke claims another life...

Lol! I hear ya! I was working on upgrading some older iMacs we have in our department and just to upgrade the RAM was a pain! Some of it wasn't even accessible unless done by "an apple certified technician" and since it still had a warranty I figured I better not mess with it myself until that warranty expires.

new iMac's are even worse.. They have the magnetically attached glass screen's so the only way to get them off is the 'Mac Technician Kit' which is basically just 4 suction cups and handles. Needless to say when I got one of those in at my work we told them to take it to an Apple store.

Thanks for the comments. I think a Mac is now out of the question as I don't want to spend that much extra for something I don't really need. To answer your question Peter, I will do some gaming so I would like it to be capable of running the latest games smoothly.

$800 - $900 Laptops - CNET Reviews

How to Buy a Laptop - PC World

Dell Studio 1555 (USE006CS) - At A Glance - Reviews by PC Magazine

ASUS UL30A-A1 - At A Glance - Reviews by PC Magazine

or look here also

Asus K61IC-X3 Notebook PC - Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HDD, Blu-Ray/DVDRW, 16" Display, Windows 7 Home Premium, Black at TigerDirect.com

Newegg.com - SONY VAIO NW Series VGN-NW250F/S NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T6600(2.20GHz) 15.5" 4GB Memory DDR2 800 320GB HDD 5400rpm Dual layer DVD Burner ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 - Laptops / Notebooks

I haven't personally tested any of the above myself. We have two older laptops, both are working good.

MWSnap00611-01-09.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom