Overheating problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metlamaniac

Beta member
Hi guys, sorry if this is in the wrong place. Please let me know where to put it if it is.

I have a cpu overheating issue i believe

I have a Dell Dimension E521

Originally it was
AMD athlon 64
2.4ghz
1gb ram
Rubbish graphics card
Rubbish intergrated sound card

I did some stuff to it and it is now a

AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual
Core processor 6400 +
3.21Ghz
2Gb ram
Nvidia Geforce 7950 GT
Creative SB X-Fi soundcard

My issue is that I wasn't able to install the new Fan/Heatsink that came with the new processor because of the dell motherboards layout. So I had to use the old one which the heatsink is on top but the fan is at the side of it. I made some minor adjustments (After the fan went nuts) and it now runs but it is still overheating. I use Speedfan to check heat.

Idle

GPU 55C
HD0 28C
Core 28C
Core 55C
Ambient 0C

When i play COD5 the GPU goes to about 70C

I do notice jerkyness when it gets that hot.

Is there anything else I can do. I have updated all drivers...
Is there a way of cooling it even more?....somehow

Any input appreciated

You should always use the heatsink that the processor came with, as it was designed to for that specific cpu. I would see about purchasing an aftermarket heatsink.

The porblem with Dell is that they are terrible when it comes to cooling... they usually only have the one fan on the heatsink to cool PC.... are there any other places where you can mount fans??? GPU temps are always hot... mine usually run close to 70c after playing for a few hours... try and get an aftermatked heatsink and fan for the CPU... that dual core does run hotter than the old one you had... you can get a pci slot fan to help cool the video card... or you can even mod the case to add fans on top, front and side.

aftermarket means somthing that a name brand compant like AMD or Intel didn't make... you can look for somthing like foxconn or thermaltake. A heatsink and fan is what sits on the CPU... usually the fan sits on top of the heatsink.... look them up on newegg.com. did you replace the thermal compound when you changed CPU's?

on a board long long ago, I think it was a super socket7 ...I had to make a fan to cool the heat sink. I think I cut a section about half the size of a 120mm fan, then applied heat along the middle length wise to make it bend 90 degrees. drilld holes to mount the fan and mount to the case. JB Weld is good too, maybe you could glue a fan in place.....oh no I am starting to remeber when I used to fix PCs in a shop and one of our drivers brought in a pc that everything was held in place with masking tape.

Yeh i used thermal compound. Im thinking of getting an optiplex heatink that will fit into my dell heatink shroud i have at the moment. Its will hopefully get rid of some of the heat. There is some on ebay i believe for around £10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom