MacBook or PC Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Rulez

Solid State Member
So I am in the market for a new laptop and clueless as to which system to go for. My main uses will be general uses such as web browsing, music, pictures, video, email, etc. However, it will become used for school related uses in the near future. I am looking for unbiased advice and suggestions as to whether I should go with a MacBook or opt for a less expensive PC based laptop.

Thoughts?

Well it depends on your needs. Both have their strong and weak points.
MacBook
-expensive
-all inclusive
-better out of the box for video, picture and sound editing

PC
-cheap
-you will have to purchase software separately for things like video editing (PC can do this but not to the extent mac can)
-more support, meaning that PC will be more widely used unless you are going to an expensive school, so if you run into issues with your Pc you can probably fix most issues yourself or with help. Mac you'll have to take it into a repair shop

Again, all depends on your needs. If you are really big into video and music editing (more artsy stuff) go with a mac. If you are on a budget and just need things done, go with a PC. There are free apps that will get almost anything done, so keep that in mind as well.

Well it depends on your needs. Both have their strong and weak points.
MacBook
-expensive
-all inclusive
-better out of the box for video, picture and sound editing

PC
-cheap
-you will have to purchase software separately for things like video editing (PC can do this but not to the extent mac can)
-more support, meaning that PC will be more widely used unless you are going to an expensive school, so if you run into issues with your Pc you can probably fix most issues yourself or with help. Mac you'll have to take it into a repair shop

Again, all depends on your needs. If you are really big into video and music editing (more artsy stuff) go with a mac. If you are on a budget and just need things done, go with a PC. There are free apps that will get almost anything done, so keep that in mind as well.

Well I don't need to do any video or photo editing at the moment, however I may in the future when I am in school depending on the program I enroll in. My main concern is that I have used both systems and I am not a fan of Windows Vista. So from that standpoint I like Mac OS better but Windows 7 is coming out or may be out now I'm not sure so I may like that better than Vista? Another factor is the cost. Although I do love the looks and operating system of MacBooks, they are significantly more expensive and the hardware isn't even better than and equivalently priced PC. So I would like to know particularly from Mac users if the extra cost is truly worth the product and experience?

Also, my budget is around $1000 so the new MacBook is listed at $1050 for students which is within my reach. On the contrary, I could have a PC with similar specs for almost half that which I don't understand.

One more thing, although I wouldn't particularly be gaming on it, I would like that capability there in case I chose to. I don't mean a top-end heavy duty gaming machine, but one that will run the latest games smoothly without problems. So that said maybe a MacBook isn't the best choice?

The entry MacBook's aren't for gaming. In general Mac's aren't for gaming. That being said the new MacBook Pro's come with 9600m GT's which aren't a bad card for gaming but aren't anything special.

When you buy a mac you pay for a few things.
1. The aesthetics
2. The OS
3. Small things such as back-lit keyboard, the track pad, firewire 800
4. Screen. This is a big one that people don't pay attention to. The quality of the screen is many many many times better than most window's based laptops out there.

Is that stuff worth the premium you pay for a Mac? That's up to you to decide. Windows based PC's are generally a better option for people because they are cheaper, and offer better noticeable performance for the cost. For a college student looking for a computer with around $1000, a Mac probably isn't the best choice for you. I'd go with a nice laptop for $1000 and if you find that you want a Mac then get a job or something and go for the Mac.

Also Vista shouldn't be a deciding factor anymore with windows 7 out now.

Thanks for the comments. I'm not really looking for a netbook as I think I want something a little bigger but I won't completely rule that option out as the price for HP that was linked is definitely affordable and reasonable at $400. So I think I will pass on the MacBook as the extra features that are factored into the cost aren't really worth that much to me. That said, can someone suggest a good PC notebook, around $1000, if not less. Is Asus a good manufacturer? I've read they develop many gaming machines so maybe that would be a good make to consider?

Thanks for all the helpful comments/advice recieved so far.

If you don't want a small laptop, you'll have to go for a pc. The cheapest mac is 13, and the 15" is 1700..

Plus at school, you'll want something that if it breaks you don't want to kill yourself because of it.

If a laptop breaks one way or another it's gonna kill you to fix it, depending on what happens to it...

Yes but usually PC laptop issues can be resolved yourself or over the phone while Mac issues may need sending in more often.

And just don't forget that with the PC laptops you are getting 1 or 2 year warranties included and the price for like a 3 year full coverage warranty isn't all that pricey, but with Mac its pretty much an essential to get the 3 year Apple Care plan and will cost you another $300+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom