Desktop Hangs on Windows 7 Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

welsh

In Runtime
Hey,

I'm having an issue with my desktop, Windows Vista was not being very nice and often hanging on start up, so I got a copy of Windows 7 to install in it, however whenever I put the disk in and hit to boot any key to boot from DVD, it goes through the load bar and then goes to the part with "Loading Windows", the Icon fully forms and it just hangs there, I've let it sit there for over 10 minutes.

Now I know the DVD isn't defective because I just used it to upgrade from VIsta to 7 on my laptop, I've downloaded Ultimate Boot CD and ran the WD drive check, both quick and full and it showed no errors, I've done a Memory test and that was fine, CPU was fine under stress tests and not crashing. Now I figured it could be the DVD drive cause it to not read the DVD right but the boot CD ran fine so I'm not sure. I've been having issues with my Video card but it still works fine and I'm fairly positive that wouldn't cause it to hang.

Now I remembered I was going to upgrade it awhile ago and it came up to a point where it said "insert driver media for dvd drive" which point I didn't have anything with its drivers so I just ended the install and was going to come back to it. Now it seems it doesn't work at all, which makes me think its the DVD drive again.

Any suggestions on what I could try?

Did you run the memtest from the drive?
Also, if it managed to load any of the win 7 DVD at all I wouldn't have thought it's a driver issue.

As for the graphics card... do you have onboard graphics as another option? If it's available, why not try taking out the graphics card and just using the onboard graphics to rule it out.

I thought instantly it would be a problem with the RAM because lots of people have had probs with windows 7 install and ram.
Personally, I would leave it longer than 10 minutes, just leave it on overnight or something because i've heard of windows 7 install seeming like it's froze at all sorts of points and just taking a long time. Also, this may sound silly, but if you have more than one RAM card, try it with just the one in. The amount of RAM ( more being worse ) has been said to affect the windows 7 install.

If neither of them work, does anyone have a DVD drive you could borrow for a day?

Other than that, I am not sure what else it could be. I'm sure someone ele will come on and be able to help if it's non of the above!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom