New build Heatsiink and Crossfire questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

locust00

Solid State Member
Hello all,

In the process right now of building my new PC. Been roughly 10 years since i built my last one so I am dealing with practically alien technology here. She is up and running, purring like a neon blue kitten, and my OS is installing atm so I have a few questions I need to ask because I am a bit befuddled on a few points.

To begin, the specs are:
* ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
* Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
* OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory
* Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
* Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
*Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Cooler Rev.B: CrazyPC Computers w/ Scythe S-Flex SFF21F fan option
* Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB PCIe DDR5 w/HDMI & DVI

Questions...

First, I only got one of the Scythe S-Flex SFF21F fans for the Megahalem which i now think may have been a mistake. However the Megahalem comes with fan clips which for the life of me make me feel as stupid as a cement kite. Are 2 fans required in order to make the stock clips work or what?: Only way i can figure to get them on atm in general would be by bending them all to ****.

Second, The Radeon 5870 requires 2 6 pin connections to the power supply. In total the PSU has 4 of these 6 pin slots. The Antec 1000 Quattro is on the ATI site as a certified PSU for Crossfire.

I have all but already ordered the second card but now that i see this I am troubled. How am i suppose to crossfire these cards if I will need 4 of those 6 pin outlets and I already have 2 used on one card? The instruction books do not seem to cover this question and I am pretty sure I am going to need to reserve at least one of those outlets. This beast has as many fans as a prototype hovercraft and they are currently employed through one of the outlets as is.

Thanks in advance

idk about the heatsink, but for two 5870's, yes youd need 4 6-pin connections, which the antec 1kw does indeed have. well it has 2x 6pin and 2x 6+2pin, but thats not an issue, so i dont really see where you are finding a problem. could you explain a little more maybe?

Muffin Man- This is why i posted. I evidentally have to have a blindspot here. The Antec has 4x6pin. 2x used for Video Card 1. If crossfire, 4x will be used.

Right now with the way i built it all 4 are being used. One is daisy chaining the fans and the other has a fan and the hard drive powered from it.

I am assuming i set this up screwy, i probably shouldnt be using the additional 6 pin ports for anything right now other than the single video card should i?

well, i could be missing something...

but the gpu should be using 2 6-pin's, leaving 2 free. how have you hooked up fans and a hdd to the 6-pin connections? as far as i know, fans can be connected via 3 or 4 pin mobo connections, or a molex, and your hdd should be getting power supplied to it with either with a molex or sata power cable..

Ok, on the megahalems fan clips, look at the sides of the megahalems. There's some slits where the back of the fan clips slide into. The fan clips should be sticking out like a C towards the fan if you're looking at the heatsink standing up from the side. The little triangle parts of the fan clips slip over the screw holes of the fan.

Sorry for the delay in a response. My job currently doesnt want me to finish this project and is battling for my time.

Thanks for the responses.

The clip issue and the power issue have been resolved. The antec 100 in fact has 5x pin slots so I should be good regardless for the Crossfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom