Hard Drive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zpoon

Beta member
I'm running Vista Ultimate x86 on my primary hard drive (an IDE), and I just got a new 1TB SATA drive. I got the drive from newegg labeled "bare drive." I've installed the drive, and I've become fairly perplexed. It seems the drive doesn't show up in my "Computer" folder, but it shows up on Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic, under the category "Physical drives." All the other drives were listed as logical drives.

I'm wondering, could this mean I need a jumper? The drive itself doesn't have a handy diagram of jumper configurations, nor did it come with a handbook. What else could the problem be?

I'm running Vista Ultimate x86 on my primary hard drive (an IDE), and I just got a new 1TB SATA drive. I got the drive from newegg labeled "bare drive." I've installed the drive, and I've become fairly perplexed. It seems the drive doesn't show up in my "Computer" folder, but it shows up on Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic, under the category "Physical drives." All the other drives were listed as logical drives.

I'm wondering, could this mean I need a jumper? The drive itself doesn't have a handy diagram of jumper configurations, nor did it come with a handbook. What else could the problem be?

Format it yet ? Or was it pre-formatted ? Needs to be formatted to NTFS and make the disk active. Might help any way.

Sata drives dont require jumpers as sata drives are automatically given a number. If you look on your mobo at your sata ports they will say sata 1 sata 2 ect. Now im not too familiar with vista but i think its the same concept as xp. right click my computer and click manage. Then look in the right list pane and find disk management. if your sata drive appears here it should say unallocated if so right click on the gray graphic that says unallocated and click formatt in the drop down menu. from there you can follow te wizard.

Sata drives dont require jumpers as sata drives are automatically given a number. If you look on your mobo at your sata ports they will say sata 1 sata 2 ect. Now im not too familiar with vista but i think its the same concept as xp. right click my computer and click manage. Then look in the right list pane and find disk management. if your sata drive appears here it should say unallocated if so right click on the gray graphic that says unallocated and click formatt in the drop down menu. from there you can follow te wizard.

Some SATA drives do have jumpers, as in the case of some Western Digital SATA drives (Source: http://www.wdc.com/en/library/sata/2779-001006.pdf).

NOTE: Did you look in your BIOS setup to check settings there ? It needs to be recognized by in BIOS, then after the system is booted up, format it to NTFS.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 53
Very. Just missing the disk management as many want to do it via my computer and if it is not active it will not show there which appears to be the case in this situation. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom